One duckling with a potential niacin deficiency

Aalz13

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Hi everyone! First time hatcher here. I have 10 ducklings who are about 2 weeks old. The one that was hatched last (about 4 days after the rest, it will be 2 weeks old Thursday) appears to have what I can only guess is a niacin deficiency. We’ve been wondering about him since he was hatched. He’s growing slower, isn’t too steady on his feet, and appears to have one foot turned in. He still gets around okay, and will even push the other ducklings around. I read that some ducklings need more niacin than others, and I am guessing he is one of them. None of the other ducklings have any issues. They are all strong, and do not appear to have any developmental problems.

They are currently eating duck and goose starter (20% protein, cannot find the amount of niacin). I am looking for a way to supplement the potentially niacin-deficient duckling without putting the others in harms way. I know that vitamin B3 is water soluble, so you can’t really overdose on it, but I’m not sure if supplementing all of the ducklings is okay. We’ve tried to feed the little one outside of the brooder with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top of treats, but it won’t eat when separated from the rest of the ducklings. We also tried to make him a special treat and feed it to specifically him in the brooder while the others got normal treats, but they would just finish theirs earlier and eat the yeasty treats LOL.

Sorry for the long post! I am hoping someone would be able to provide me guidance on what to potentially do in this situation. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much. I love this community! So helpful and kind:celebrate

P.S. here’s a picture of the duckling in question, swimming in “his pool” while all the others play in the big duck pool 🤣
D980A2D0-EBE6-464E-9D46-2F0C6EEC0261.jpeg

Thank you so much!!! That post is AMAZING! Sorry I’m a new duck parent, so I am still not too good at navigating this site. I’ve read through everything and feel confident we can help him now. 😁 I am going to get the vitamin B3 complex and mix it in with some mushed up peas (their favourite). When we give it to him, I think we will section off a small piece of the brooder with chicken wire so he can enjoy his special treat in peace but still see the others!!!

Thank you so much!!! That post is AMAZING! Sorry I’m a new duck parent, so I am still not too good at navigating this site. I’ve read through everything and feel confident we can help him now. 😁 I am going to get the vitamin B3 complex and mix it in with some mushed up peas (their favourite). When we give it to him, I think we will section off a small piece of the brooder with chicken wire so he can enjoy his special treat in peace but still see the others!!!

Great! Keep us posted! :fl

Great! Keep us posted! :fl

Sorry for the delay in updating, it’s been a busy few days! I live in Canada and of course couldn’t find any of the products that were recommended in the niacin deficiency post. I did find pills that have a powder substance inside (not timed release or no flush or any of the other non-recommended forms). The pills have 50mg of niacin each, so I’ve just been opening them up and sprinkling a little bit of a pill on some peas multiple times throughout the day. The difference we have seen in just these couple days has been phenomenal! He has grown a lot and is acting much more duck-like. He now will run around and will even jump at a toy we have dangling over the edge of the brooder. When they go outside, he will root around (which he didn’t before) and can now jump in and out of their little “pool” all by himself! We will continue dosing him for a few weeks, as is recommended. Thank you everyone for your wonderful help!! :love

They need to be supplemented with niacin for at least 10 weeks that is when they are doing the most growing.

We always need more pics and such great news on your little one!

Back
Top Bottom