One egg cracked, not in good way.. help please

Potato Queenz

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
My house had a power outage today, so we brought the incubator to my grandmothers. When I was adding water into the incubator I put this egg (#1) on the counter where the incubator was, turns out the counter is no even, and the egg rolled of. Shaking I found that supper glue was the best way to help this. I know the cracks spread through most of the shell but they don’t seem deep. Will the glue help? It’s still moving of what I can see because it’s more in the light but I don’t want to move it as the glue is drying and I don’t what it to fall off of the glass if it currently on. Is there any chance of survival? (they have four days left) do you think the glue will make it live longer? And when it did crack only little good came out no blood, so I don’t think it hit a vein, and hopefully didn’t pierce the membrane.If it did not do you think that it could have any chance of making it to hatching day. It I see no movement I might do an “egg operation” on the day it was supposed to hatch. Is that a good idea? Really disappointing and it was absolutely an accident, but I still feel as if I’m to blame :( sorry if this is chaotic but I’m still shaken up
EEDE74E1-38F7-4E13-9E8E-E435D3B16502.jpeg

Movement was last seen about two hours ago.
Just now I could not see it any but most of the egg is dark from being on day 25.
2A97BCA6-F8E3-4E87-A7FD-48CE2183DC4B.jpeg

Although this red spot is there.. I’m gonna give it until tomorrow I think, is that enough time? Is it doomed? And is this there because the membrane was pierced? Ugh I feel awful:th

Update 2- one hour later at 11:36
No movement and with that red spot I was afraid it broke the membrane. Well it looks as it there is an air bubble, and when I move the egg it goes inside.. so I think it did break. If there’s no movement by morning- I will probably barry it during my lunch break.. Please reply if this is the right thing to do- if there’s a chance I could help it live somehow I will take it, but I don’t think there’s anything more I can do at this point, right?

Last edited:
i am not an expert but with so much glue on the shell i do not think the chick will be able to break the shell when it's time for hatching..so keep an eye on that egg and just wait for the hatching day..do not assist if it don't hatch on the date..wait when almost all the eggs have hatched this is all i can say but there are many experts, so hopefully they'll help you out with this..stay clam and keep on candling one day after just to make sure it's still alive

You are doing good. I bet you baby will be fine. Is it in the incubator right now? And is th crakc over the pipping area, because of it is, you may have to make it a safety hole, because it may have trouble pipping if you glued over that area. @MGG will be more helpful!
I just put it back in so it didn’t get to cold and it’s more on the side of the shell, and ok thank you for the tip🙏

i am not an expert but with so much glue on the shell i do not think the chick will be able to break the shell when it's time for hatching..so keep an eye on that egg and just wait for the hatching day..do not assist if it don't hatch on the date..wait when almost all the eggs have hatched this is all i can say but there are many experts, so hopefully they'll help you out with this..stay clam and keep on candling one day after just to make sure it's still alive
Thank you and that was the egg that I thought was going to hatch first but I heard if they hear the first one they’ll follow, so maybe that will work. Or maybe it will still be able to..and thank you I will definitely be keeping an eye on it

My house had a power outage today, so we brought the incubator to my grandmothers. When I was adding water into the incubator I put this egg (#1) on the counter where the incubator was, turns out the counter is no even, and the egg rolled of. Shaking I found that supper glue was the best way to help this. I know the cracks spread through most of the shell but they don’t seem deep. Will the glue help? It’s still moving of what I can see because it’s more in the light but I don’t want to move it as the glue is drying and I don’t what it to fall off of the glass if it currently on. Is there any chance of survival? (they have four days left) do you think the glue will make it live longer? And when it did crack only little good came out no blood, so I don’t think it hit a vein, and hopefully didn’t pierce the membrane.If it did not do you think that it could have any chance of making it to hatching day. It I see no movement I might do an “egg operation” on the day it was supposed to hatch. Is that a good idea? Really disappointing and it was absolutely an accident, but I still feel as if I’m to blame :( sorry if this is chaotic but I’m still shaken up
View attachment 2354751
one thing i would like to tell you is that chicks are too strong way more than we we think of..an outage of power for less than 16 hrs will not harm the chick even when they have pipped..i've been through this..i was in a panic for the power to come back but here's what happened they all hatched on the date..so don't worry as long as the power did not went out for more than 16 hours goodluck🤞🏻🤞🏻

What day is it on? That's a lot of glue... I agree it may need help hatching. Don't assist it until you're sure it can't make it out on its own though. Have you done one of these "egg operations" before? You'll want to read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
It probably just hairline fractured. Usually how far along in incubation it is will determine if it lives or not. Keep it in the incubator and cross your fingers. How long has the power been out? Unless it's been more than 12 hours or so you didn't need to move them. Older embryos are very resilient compared to embryos one week or younger. Fingers crossed it makes it.

What day is it on? That's a lot of glue... I agree it may need help hatching. Don't assist it until you're sure it can't make it out on its own though. Have you done one of these "egg operations" before? You'll want to read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
It probably just hairline fractured. Usually how far along in incubation it is will determine if it lives or not. Keep it in the incubator and cross your fingers. How long has the power been out? Unless it's been more than 12 hours or so you didn't need to move them. Older embryos are very resilient compared to embryos one week or younger. Fingers crossed it makes it.
It’s on day 24 and I wasn’t sure how much to put on but I wanted to make sure it didn’t leak out. Was that a mistake? And no I have not done it before but I read a really informational article that someone replied on a few posts ago, but I’m gonna check out yours too- thanks

Back
Top Bottom