one egg not hatched day 23, but still alive, no pip

Feb 21, 2024
Hi I just incubated 8 eggs, one was an early quitter. When I candled on day 16, all 7 were developed and moving, but one looked noticeably smaller maybe by a few days (but moving with good veins). Fast forward to hatch day and 6 chicks hatched on day 21. The one I had previously noticed as smaller did not hatch, though I could visibly see the egg moving in the incubator as the others were drying off. Now on day 23, I decided to candle to know what to do next. The chick still has not internally pipped, however again I can see signs of life - heart beat movement. The incubator is the type that turns in a circle, it maintained proper temp and humidity throughout. All eggs are from my backyard flock - fed the same organic feed and foraging, they are healthy hens! My questions are: why would one embryo develop slower than others but not die? And, is there still a chance it will hatch without major health issues? What point is the cut off point for waiting?

Hi I just incubated 8 eggs, one was an early quitter. When I candled on day 16, all 7 were developed and moving, but one looked noticeably smaller maybe by a few days (but moving with good veins). Fast forward to hatch day and 6 chicks hatched on day 21. The one I had previously noticed as smaller did not hatch, though I could visibly see the egg moving in the incubator as the others were drying off. Now on day 23, I decided to candle to know what to do next. The chick still has not internally pipped, however again I can see signs of life - heart beat movement. The incubator is the type that turns in a circle, it maintained proper temp and humidity throughout. All eggs are from my backyard flock - fed the same organic feed and foraging, they are healthy hens! My questions are: why would one embryo develop slower than others but not die? And, is there still a chance it will hatch without major health issues? What point is the cut off point for waiting?
Sometimes there's always one early, and one late for me. I had one three days late once. I would keep it incubating and candle it in another day. I couldn't possibly quit if I saw it moving. The one late one I had was perfect so who knows really why there's always seeming to be an odd one.

Back
Top Bottom