One eye closed and lethargic, decreased appetite

krisandcat

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
This is the 3rd time 2 out of our 5 EE chickens (5 mo old each) have experienced these exact same symptoms. We find them keeping their right eye closed, sleeping while other chickens are active, lethargic, with a decreased appetite. Watery diarrhea. Eyes do not appear red, no drainage. They spend most of the day in the large, grassy run with shade but also roam around the yard when we're home. The first 2 times this occurred, they recovered in a day or two after resting in a box in our air conditioned house. Could eating something bad cause this or??? An infection? Any ideas. Strange that it keeps happening every once in a while.
Thanks

Last edited:
How old are they, and are any new to the property? I would suspect coccidiosis, which is treated with Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. More details might help.

Recently one of my best layers had similar symptoms. A friend suggested I take a fecal sample to our local vet who treats chickens. That will give you the information, if you have worms or coccidia (parasite). My hen had coccidia and perked up with the medication and her appetite came back. However a few days after the 5 day treatment was over and I stopped the medication, she started to go downhill again so I started the medication again and she has responded well. From my reading this parasite occurs naturally in the dirt but thrives in moist conditions. which I have with my clay soil. Hot temps and sunshine kill it. Also chickens do work up a natural immunity but if they are under stress, they may sucumb. My neighbor has noisy construction going on for the past few months, and I think this might have been a problem for my one girl. Also our drought conditions are tough this year. Some people put lime in the soil to kill it but that can burn the chickens feet. I'm currently looking for more specifics on the type of lime to use and how to apply, etc. Hope this helps.

5 months old, they have been in the same run/coop/property since we got them. None new. She at a bunch tonight, we just changed them from booster to layer feed (no amprollium), she had a semi-solid brown and white poop tonight. We gave her yogurt tonight (she at lots), then she ate layer feed. Later, we gave more yogurt and gave her a dropper (5mL) of electrolyte water to ensure hydration. She is sleeping in the AC tonight in our sick chick room. It has been in the 100's around here the last few weeks, so they have been under stress that way. No blood in feces, but still keeping one eye closed most of the time. Planning to put her back outside tomorrow (supposed to be cool, at 95F) as we have to go to work. Will pick up some amprollium and give that a try...figure it shouldn't hurt as they were getting it previously, anyhow.

One of my rir has been acting funny as well... We too just switched over to layer feed... Maybe it's the switch in food? She seemed fine this evening... In the mornings she has been sleeping outside in the run sitting down as if she was laying, but no egg this morning All the other birds are out running around scratching... Hmmm not sure...

It's also been hotter than normal here in washington this past week, maybe it's the heat? I know it's not as hot as other places but maybe it's just a way to cool down?

Hope your chick feels better soon...

Thanks everyone, that's helpful information. She ate a bunch of yogurt, then some layer feed and recovered after about 24hr so back out to the run she went. No issues since then. We picked up some amprollium so next time we might try that right away.
Also, their run is in an area that used to house hogs. It had been about a year since the hogs were there. From what we read, there shouldn't be a problem with that but sometimes I wonder....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom