One eye closed

Mayochick

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
My Sussex hen is about 4 months old. I noticed later in the evening around 5 she was sleepy and less active than usual. I also noticed she had one eye closed, but in the morning she was normal, and had both eyes open. She still eats and drinks like normal. Is this an early sign of sickness? And what eye drops are safe for a chicken if needed.

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Its hard to say what's going on, she could have been pecked in the eye. Can you get a photo of the eye?

This is the picture of my Sussex chicken with her eye that keeps closing. Sometimes she leaves it open, but most of the time it’s closed.

Attachments

• 81382E05-BB44-4C01-8DB3-36C76AEFEFAD.jpeg
    81382E05-BB44-4C01-8DB3-36C76AEFEFAD.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 7F56970B-79B7-4530-8BE7-82B345B3B984.jpeg
    7F56970B-79B7-4530-8BE7-82B345B3B984.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the photos! It doesn't look bad, but she still could have been pecked. Chicks are so curious and go after each others eyes all the time. If she were sick, she would close them both, maybe look fluffed up, have diarrhea and stop eating and drinking. Have other symptoms.

So I think it's just a peck. You can use human eye drops on her, just open up her eye and put in a couple drops tonight. You may need someone to help you do this. Check her in the morning and if she still seems to be closing it, you can give her another dose.

Keep us posted tomorrow as to how she is! :)

Thanks for the photos! It doesn't look bad, but she still could have been pecked. Chicks are so curious and go after each others eyes all the time. If she were sick, she would close them both, maybe look fluffed up, have diarrhea and stop eating and drinking. Have other symptoms.

So I think it's just a peck. You can use human eye drops on her, just open up her eye and put in a couple drops tonight. You may need someone to help you do this. Check her in the morning and if she still seems to be closing it, you can give her another dose.

Keep us posted tomorrow as to how she is! :)
Thank you so much! This makes me less worried cause I’m new with my hens. I definitely will give her eye drops before they go to bed and give an update tomorrow! :)

Back
Top Bottom