One eye shut/one open

cheeperchick

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
NM
Good morning all, I was in the coop yesterday afternoon & noticed my buff orp has one eye closed & one open. Looks like she/he (can't figure out sex yet) is eating ok & may have a case of fowl pox from little specks in the comb. I also opened the beak and there was no film/goo or smell.

I've read on other forums that the pox should go away on its own so I've decided not to treat, however should I be concerned about this eye thing? :oops:

Ya you might want to try and find a medication for her and she is a she.

Thanks, I hope she's a girl. She's 15 weeks today. anyone suggest what to treat with? I have saline, vetericyn, and neosporin.

I also noticed that the area around the eye is redder, eye itself looks clear...no swelling either.

I have an EE that I found like this yesterday also. She got pecked on her beak and must have gotten her eye scratched as well. I hope they are both doing well soon. Did you isolate yours? Did you treat her at all? I'm so worried about my girl Sunny
sad.png

I have an EE that I found like this yesterday also.  She got pecked on her beak and must have gotten her eye scratched as well.  I hope they are both doing well soon.  Did you isolate yours?  Did you treat her at all?  I'm so worried about my girl Sunny :(  

I haven't isolated mine yet. At first I thought she got pecked too but then I noticed she would scratch herself more on that side. Waddle & skin around the eye on that side is redder too. So I really don't know if it was self inflicted or something else :\

I panicked and isolated mine right away. Unfortunately I left her in a cage in their run with food and water, but she got dehydrated
sad.png
. I got to her in time and was able to get her to drink, but now she's recovering from her eye problem as well as the dehydration. I felt so terrible that I made things worse rather than better. I have her isolated in my back porch now and she is eating some and drinking some, but is not her usual perky self. I hope and pray she pulls through. Is yours still acting normal?

I panicked and isolated mine right away.  Unfortunately I left her in a cage in their run with food and water, but she got dehydrated :( .  I got to her in time and was able to get her to drink, but now she's recovering from her eye problem as well as the dehydration.  I felt so terrible that I made things worse rather than better.  I have her isolated in my back porch now and she is eating some and drinking some, but is not her usual perky self.  I hope and pray she pulls through.  Is yours still acting normal?

Acting normal yes--still eating& scratching around. It just looked to me like she was falling asleep while standing when I realized only one eye was shut. I'll have to examine her/him again when I get home to see if anythings stuck in the eye.

I panicked and isolated mine right away.  Unfortunately I left her in a cage in their run with food and water, but she got dehydrated :( .  I got to her in time and was able to get her to drink, but now she's recovering from her eye problem as well as the dehydration.  I felt so terrible that I made things worse rather than better.  I have her isolated in my back porch now and she is eating some and drinking some, but is not her usual perky self.  I hope and pray she pulls through.  Is yours still acting normal?

Try giving her some chick electrolite water or sugar water if she seems dehydrated. Maybe isolating it but keeping it in view of the others?

I started giving her electrolytes in her water today. Hopefully she'll be on the mend soon. It's too hot and sunny here in Florida to keep her isolated in their run. That's what I tried originally and she almost didn't make it. Please let me know how your girl does with her eye. I'm hoping they can both be better soon.

Back
Top Bottom