barbsfunstuff

Hatching
Dec 2, 2023

"One Eyed Agnus" lost her eye (Grayish/Foggy eye) about 5 years ago and has still been thriving. She is about 15 years old and alert with her good eye always on the lookout. She eats well.​

One Eyed Agnus gets along with the other 6 guineas. Today I noticed the bad eye was swelling, but no blood. She is acting normal. I am afraid it is an abscess. I sprayed blue coat on it and will give her doxycycline one capsule in a gallon of water for 5 days which I still have from another guinea injury. My question is: should I see if I can drain the eye now. Thank you very much for your response.​

So this swelling is around the eye so you can't see anything in the eye, it's just swollen around it?

I think if this is the case, I would give it a few days since you're putting Agnus on antibiotics to see if that takes care of it. I'd also put her on some vitamins to help her fight the infection, like Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in the water.

If she had an infection IN her eye, you could use reg Neosporin or Terramycin. Do you have a vet though?

Thank you so much for your very rapid response. It looks like it is all the way around the eye. I would send a picture, but it is hard to see with the blue coat medicine on her. I may try the Neosporin. What about for pain? I am separating her safe from the other guineas. Thank you again.

Thank you so much for your very rapid response. It looks like it is all the way around the eye. I would send a picture, but it is hard to see with the blue coat medicine on her. I may try the Neosporin. What about for pain? I am separating her safe from the other guineas. Thank you again.
She could have aspirin. The dosage I know of is 25 mg. per lb of body weight every 4 hours but it's not good for them to do that for days on end so maybe just one day as the antibiotics should be making her eye feel better shortly.

I would crush it up and mix it with a bit of yogurt or a small amount of something she'd eat.

Thank you so much Debbie. I did put some Neosporin in her eye as well as the antibiotic in her water. She is still acting normal.

Hi Debbie 292d, It has been 20 days now and "One Eyed Agness" is still with us. We have drained the clear liquid from around her eye a few times and then put Polysporin with pain reliever on it. She is acting normal and eating normally. She is back with her friends. We are thankful that the issue was with her blind eye. She is an amazing guinea. Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom