One Eyed Chicken is Being Attacked by her Flock

AmeliaGrowsPlants

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
I have a hen that was attacked by a skunk about a week and a half ago. It scratched out one eye and bruised her head up so badly she couldn't see out of the other. She is doing much better now and wants to rejoin her flock, but every time she gets close to the other chickens they attack her bad eye side. She is smart enough to protect herself until help comes but I can't monitor her forever. Is there any hope that she will be accepted by the flock again? Or should I try to find her another home?

I have had a similar experience with a hen who was ostracized and attacked after being separate inside a basket inside the coop for a month. I had to let her free range on the other side of the chicken fence where they could all see each other. Six months later, they accepted her back, but she never was part of the click anymore. You could try keeping her in a wire dog crate with food and water with the others. Then once daily, let them together while someone supervises them, to make sure she doesn’t get hurt. I would hate to rehome her, since it is hard enough for a half blind chicken to get around in a familiar environment, but you have to do what is best for you.

Back
Top Bottom