One hen left

RodDog

Chirping
Mar 18, 2016
Georgia
I started with 5 hens mainly for eggs and after one died with heart attack and 2 killed by something i was left with 2 and i became very attached to them both they have been with me for 4 yrs and they became family they would even come in the house and just hang out with me all day they are very smart birds and they were attached to each other one got sick actually the one in my avatar after 4 days of doing everything i knew to do she passed yesterday 12/13 so now my aunt mae is left all alone so my question is will she be fine alone or should or need to get another hen for her? i just don't want her to be lonely M.J the one that died would always be the one following aunt mae around so she's was kinda the leader. Any advice would be appreciated

I started with 5 hens mainly for eggs and after one died with heart attack and 2 killed by something i was left with 2 and i became very attached to them both they have been with me for 4 yrs and they became family they would even come in the house and just hang out with me all day they are very smart birds and they were attached to each other one got sick actually the one in my avatar after 4 days of doing everything i knew to do she passed yesterday 12/13 so now my aunt mae is left all alone so my question is will she be fine alone or should or need to get another hen for her? i just don't want her to be lonely M.J the one that died would always be the one following aunt mae around so she's was kinda the leader. Any advice would be appreciated
Definitely predator proof but also make sure you don’t leave her alone for too long. Chickens are social butterflies and like company. Sending hugs, sorry about your losses :hugs

I am so sorry for your loss of MJ, both for you and for Aunt Mae. When a mink killed all her coop mates, my Honey -- a Buff Orp -- was the lone survivor. She was the dominant hen in the group and had little interest in people. Until then.

She stopped being indifferent to me, and actually initiated contact -- telling me she was Really lonely. Although there were chickens in other coops here, she showed little interest in any of them and actually allowed one of the other hens to bully her a bit. Honey lived by herself in a tall, white coop for months. Then, slowly, she began showing some interest in a pair of Salmon Faverolles pullets that I bought in the spring. She would approach their mini-run or walk up to them when everyone was free in the yard.

I kind of let her pick her own new coop mates, and she appears to be quite content bossing around Camille and Celeste in the tall white castle.

I KNOW she's "just a chicken," but I think Honey had to grieve the loss of her lifelong companions and work her way back to being a Chicken in Charge. Here's hoping the new year will bring a new friend to Aunt Mae.

I’m so sorry for your loss.
Earlier this year an animal broke into my coop and killed all but my Rooster, BigMac, and my dominant hen Honey. Luckily they had one another.
Like some others have said, chickens are very social creatures and require social interactions often. I would definitely get your girl some new friends :)

Definitely predator proof but also make sure you don’t leave her alone for too long. Chickens are social butterflies and like company. Sending hugs, sorry about your losses :hugs
Thank you for the advice and the condolences!!! I think I will get her a friend in the next few days she looks so lonely and I am sure grieving cause I still am.

I am so sorry for your loss of MJ, both for you and for Aunt Mae. When a mink killed all her coop mates, my Honey -- a Buff Orp -- was the lone survivor. She was the dominant hen in the group and had little interest in people. Until then.

She stopped being indifferent to me, and actually initiated contact -- telling me she was Really lonely. Although there were chickens in other coops here, she showed little interest in any of them and actually allowed one of the other hens to bully her a bit. Honey lived by herself in a tall, white coop for months. Then, slowly, she began showing some interest in a pair of Salmon Faverolles pullets that I bought in the spring. She would approach their mini-run or walk up to them when everyone was free in the yard.

I kind of let her pick her own new coop mates, and she appears to be quite content bossing around Camille and Celeste in the tall white castle.

I KNOW she's "just a chicken," but I think Honey had to grieve the loss of her lifelong companions and work her way back to being a Chicken in Charge. Here's hoping the new year will bring a new friend to Aunt Mae.

Thank you for the advice and condolences and sorry for your losses. I call my self a manly man but I gotta say when M.J passed I cried like a baby I'm still hurting and hurting for aunt mae. I will get her a friend in a few days cause just watching her by herself is breaking my heart.

I’m so sorry for your loss.
Earlier this year an animal broke into my coop and killed all but my Rooster, BigMac, and my dominant hen Honey. Luckily they had one another.
Like some others have said, chickens are very social creatures and require social interactions often. I would definitely get your girl some new friends :)
I'm Sorry for your losses and I will get her a friend .

Let us know when Aunt Mae gets her new pal!

And don't feel bad about crying over MJ. I watched one of my friends, a police officer, bawl and sob like a baby when his dog had to be put down. It makes you human, and humans make great companions for animals!!

Back
Top Bottom