One incubator, a staggered hatch. Is it futile to attempt?

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Half of my shipped eggs ended up being clears and so I added five more local fertile eggs on Day 11. I didn't realize what a bad idea a staggered hatch with one incubator was until after I added the extra eggs. I thought I could continue hand turning those during lockdown with this rig. String tied to the paper clips and pulled through the vent hole to "rock" the tray.😭 Now I'm realizing my first batch that hatches might be able to knock this over or climb on top of it? Or maybe the high humidity for three days will be an issue since the second set of eggs will be on Day 7 at lockdown for batch 1. Is there any hope for the second set of eggs given my situation of one incubator?

IMG_0890.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg

Last edited:
I use 2 incubators. I set my shipped eggs, then finally got fertile eggs from my own hens. They were heated up in one incubator, then added to the same incubator, that has a turner. On day 18 I will candle and put eggs that are ready for lockdown into a different incubator.

The above is how I am doing mine. You are doing yours different. and in one incubator. As far as some eggs hatching and some only on day 7 your younger eggs have plently of time to get over the higher humidity. If it was with in the last week I would be more worried.

One thing that concerned me was when you added more (cool)eggs in with already developed eggs. But as a wonderful beloved woman once said, "What difference, at this point, does it make?"

I use 2 incubators. I set my shipped eggs, then finally got fertile eggs from my own hens. They were heated up in one incubator, then added to the same incubator, that has a turner. On day 18 I will candle and put eggs that are ready for lockdown into a different incubator.

The above is how I am doing mine. You are doing yours different. and in one incubator. As far as some eggs hatching and some only on day 7 your younger eggs have plently of time to get over the higher humidity. If it was with in the last week I would be more worried.

One thing that concerned me was when you added more (cool)eggs in with already developed eggs. But as a wonderful beloved woman once said, "What difference, at this point, does it make?"
Thank you! That gives me hope. The eggs I added were indeed "cold" room temp, but my incubator has been a rockstar. I added them when I turned batch #1 and the temps were back to normal within 2 mins even with the added eggs. I have been wondering about constantly opening to manually turn eggs. I'm pretty fast, but turning five times a day seems like a lot of temp drops even though the temp bounces back quickly usually within 2 mins.

So if you added the new eggs on day 11, they should be at least a week along now, right?

If your incubator is good at regulating temp and humidity as you said, it should be fine to lay them down and just open the incubator quickly to turn them, though I'd avoid turning them if there's chicks actively hatching. And after the first week turning eggs is not as important anyway.
I would however try to add a divider between the eggs due to hatch and the younger eggs, so the hatched chicks can't get all over them. They like to climb on eggs a lot, and in turn, smear hatching goop and such all over them. With the other eggs having a while to go that is very dangerous because bacteria has time to grow on them and seep into the egg through the pores.

So if you added the new eggs on day 11, they should be at least a week along now, right?

If your incubator is good at regulating temp and humidity as you said, it should be fine to lay them down and just open the incubator quickly to turn them, though I'd avoid turning them if there's chicks actively hatching. And after the first week turning eggs is not as important anyway.
I would however try to add a divider so the hatched chicks can't get all over them. They like to climb on eggs a lot, and in turn, smear hatching goop and such all over them. With the other eggs having a while to go that is very dangerous because bacteria has time to grow and seep into the egg through the pores.
Batch one is currently on Day 11. The added eggs are currently on Day 1.

At Batch #1 Lockdown, added eggs will be on Day 8. Good idea about separating. I saw where someone used cross stitch plastic mesh to make dividers. I'll plan to do this.

Batch one is currently on Day 11. The added eggs are currently on Day 1.

At Batch #1 Lockdown, added eggs will be on Day 8. Good idea about separating. I saw where someone used cross stitch plastic mesh to make dividers. I'll plan to do this.
I did this last year and it worked great. I was able to cut it to fit perfectly, put all the younger eggs in one corner and that way the hatching chicks could play egg soccer in the rest of the space without hurting anyone. I had a good hatch rate from both sets of eggs.

ive had good luck just leaving the incubator and turner on and running throughout .. its a tilt style turner that holds fhe eggs vertical ..this latest batch just popped out and the 2nd set has another week or so ..havent changed a single thing, just snatch them out when you hear peeping and toss them in the brooder lol, if they aint quite out toss the shell in with them haha ..

Attachments

• 20230727_210949.jpg
    20230727_210949.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230727_210849.jpg
    20230727_210849.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom