One Layer; Two Eggs A Day ?

nycokello

Hatching
9 Years
May 13, 2010
I intend to start a chicken run and i hear some rumors that a chicken layer can be conditioned to produce two eggs daily.Is this true? if so how?

I have one strange hen, but I don't think this could be expected of any average chicken. She lays almost daily but every once in a while she'll skip a day or two. When she does, I can be guaranteed that she will either lay a double yolked egg or multiple (the most being 3) in one day. From what I understand, it's not good to push them to lay more than they do naturally as it decreases their life span and the duration that they will continue to lay. Anyone out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a Warren hen (similar to ISA Brown....hybrid egg layer) who lays two eggs a day every now and then. However, I agree, they should not be pushed to lay more often than nature intends, it may shorten their life span.

Those hens who lay prolifically often only live for a few years, whereas those old breeds laying 4 or 5 eggs a week live for 10 years or more,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom