One Less Squirrel

It’s that time of year again where squirrels become very destructive. I found four spot on my coop this morning where one had been nibbling. I am out of peppermint oil but have an ample supply of shotgun shells. I got out my shotgun and a folding chair and within an hour, he was back at the coop. I let him get on the coop and when I stared walking toward the coop, he jumped down and I relieved him of any further coop destruction responsibilities. I hated to have to do it that way but he was determined to eat a hole through the eave of my coop.
Squirrels are delicious. :drool

I shoot every one of those tree rats I see in my yard regardless of time of yr. I've got several holes in the soffit of my shop that I had to rent a lift to fix, now there's several on the backside of the shop that I can't see from the house.

While I agree they are tasty, they are a bigger nuance that I am happy to eliminate.

They need to chew things to keep their teeth filed down. Is there anything else around that they can chew? I Have friends that have had success putting out scrap wood in a small lean-to etc so they can chew on that instead of decking etc

I'm always surprised when I read threads about nuisance squirrels... we are absolutely surrounded by grey squirrels (under live oak trees next to the woods), and they don't do anything nearly that naughty. I was thinking the other day this looked more like a squirrel farm than a chicken ranch.
About the most deviant is pelting us with acorn remains from the sky. And they do acrobat practice on the roof a lot.
They're quite respectful of the chickens, I witnessed a young pullet keep one from coming down off a tree trunk. She was running round the tree as the squirrel chittered and tried different avenues, but soon gave up.
So maybe we should send you some of these squirrels to teach yours some manners? 😋

What do you do with peppermint oil?
Peppermint oil seems to be a repellant to them. I started using it a few years ago after a squirrel decided that the wiring harness on my tractor would make a fine meal. Since using it, I have not had any squirrel damage around my barn or on any equipment. Squirrels eat wire insulation to obtain the minerals in the insulation according to the cable tv technician.

Anyway, a local farmer told me that peppermint oil repels them and I believe it works. Mix with water and use a pump sprayer to apply it.

To spray, it’s 2 teaspoons peppermint oil per cup of water. Add a little soap to help the oil adhere and spread.

Does it work? It has for me. Here’s a link for using it on mice. All rodents have the same reaction. https://rodentguide.com/peppermint-oil-to-get-rid-of-mice/

Peppermint oil seems to be a repellant to them. I started using it a few years ago after a squirrel decided that the wiring harness on my tractor would make a fine meal. Since using it, I have not had any squirrel damage around my barn or on any equipment. Squirrels eat wire insulation to obtain the minerals in the insulation according to the cable tv technician.

Anyway, a local farmer told me that peppermint oil repels them and I believe it works. Mix with water and use a pump sprayer to apply it.

To spray, it’s 2 teaspoons peppermint oil per cup of water. Add a little soap to help the oil adhere and spread.

Does it work? It has for me. Here’s a link for using it on mice. All rodents have the same reaction. https://rodentguide.com/peppermint-oil-to-get-rid-of-mice/
Awesome, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom