One Less Squirrel

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
It’s that time of year again where squirrels become very destructive. I found four spot on my coop this morning where one had been nibbling. I am out of peppermint oil but have an ample supply of shotgun shells. I got out my shotgun and a folding chair and within an hour, he was back at the coop. I let him get on the coop and when I stared walking toward the coop, he jumped down and I relieved him of any further coop destruction responsibilities. I hated to have to do it that way but he was determined to eat a hole through the eave of my coop.

My parents had a squirrel that was crazily chewing branches off their prized driveway maple tree, dropping healthy twigs to the ground right and left. Between the UPS guy's truck and the squirrel, the tree was taking some major hits. I think my dad utilized a similar strategy of dispatch as you did (for the squirrel, not the UPS guy).

I have birdfeeders in our backyard and while one feeder pole has a squirrel baffle, the other pole does not. A metal slinky, cable tied to the top, encircling the pole all the way down, sufficiently deters the squirrels, though! Squirrel management takes different forms, I guess!

The cuteness is a disguise. When the fur costume comes off, they resemble tiny dragons.

:lau

Screenshot_20230111-195118_Chrome.jpg

I've not had issue with them other than stealing feed. And my chickens let them. :he
I had that too, and I caught it on the coop cam eating between 2 chickens like a hungry diner at a buffet. Alerted my hubby, we snuck out real quiet, waited until the 2 chickens exited the coop, then I guarded the door (ok I threw a stone tile over the pop door) while hubby "took care" of the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom