One Less Squirrel

When we lived in the city years back, we had a huge power outage issue that kept happening. Finally they figured it out. There was a squirrel in the (I can’t think of the name) but the power box thing and it actually blew up the whole thing and obviously exploded with it. We also had issues of squirrels going down chimneys and getting stuck in the pipes to furnaces and frying in our house. Burning squirrels doesn’t smell very nice.

Secure the feed and the squirrels will leave. Treadle feeder, a spring loaded door is a must. The feeders with the upward swinging lid are useless against even tiny ground squirrels. Nothing wrong with "relieving him of further responsibilities" but another squirrel moves right back into the territory.

I have 30 pecan trees so that is their primary food source here. They like to chew up wood, cable and wire coating, the rubber on car and truck steps, etc so that is why they have to go. Once they find something of interest, they don’t give up. They can’t get to my feeders. But they apparently like the taste of the coop stain I used.

The squirrels don’t bother our chickens but they run rampant in our yard. Our guard dog has chased them up over our 6’ fence, and eaten them if they don’t comply. She’s a tripod now, but still hunts the damn squirrels, although she can no longer climb the 6’ fence.

My Border Collies get after the squirrels and it’s a big game with them. They will tree one and then lay down under the tree for a while just to aggravate them. I’ve never seen them kill one or found any remains. It could happen one day. I hope.

peppermint oil? I have never tried that before. I always use flour and onions. Get a pellet gun. I hate eating squirrel and finding shotgun pellets. A shotgun blast might slow down egg production.
Live and let Live is best but when you have destruction, danger or brown gravy? Live and Let Die. 911=007

peppermint oil? I have never tried that before. I always use flour and onions. Get a pellet gun. I hate eating squirrel and finding shotgun pellets. A shotgun blast might slow down egg production.
Live and let Live is best but when you have destruction, danger or brown gravy? Live and Let Die. 911=007
The Peppermint oil seems to work. Unlike the old mothball myth, apparently peppermint and rodents are incompatible. Too bad.

i do have a pellet gun and use it when I’m up close and personal. I’m not using them as a food source so the shot doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers them. :D

What do you do with peppermint oil?
Mix the peppermint oil with water and spray it. Rats, mice and squirrels are repelled by it. I had a wiring harness eaten out of a tractor and read about the peppermint oil repelling rodents. So now tractor, mower and truck have a nice peppermint smell and so far, no more lost wiring. Oh yeah, it repels many insects as well.

The following link tells how to use it. Although this is for mice, if you search on the internet you will find it also works for rats, squirrels, flies, and many other pests.

https://www.homesandgardens.com/advice/using-peppermint-oil-to-get-rid-of-mice

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom