One massive egg, with one normal egg inside

iFairyx

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
England
Hi there,

I'd thought I'd share our latest bit of oddness..

About a week ago one of our hens laid a massive egg (it was larger then a duck egg, and wasn't that far from being the size of a goose egg). We thought it was a double yolker, but it was a little bit different to what we expected.

We cracked the egg and the normal yolk and white were there, but there was also another normal sized egg (the normal sized egg was inside the big egg).

Has anyone ever had this??

iFairy x

That's neat. It's not common but it does happen. I feel bad for the poor hens that have to lay them though. =P

nseattleguy - the moon? maybe weird things do happen :)

It was really weird, when I first saw the egg the first thing I thought of was "ouch" lol, but my birds never cease to amaze me <3

Yes. Happened twice here.

The first one had only a tiny egg with no yolk inside.

The second time, the egg was so huge, it had dropped into the abdomen of the hen and she could not be saved. Upon opening her up, found the giant egg, another inside, and two in the oviduct that could not pass due to the mass in her abdomen, poor thing.

Yes. Happened twice here.

The first one had only a tiny egg with no yolk inside.

The second time, the egg was so huge, it had dropped into the abdomen of the hen and she could not be saved. Upon opening her up, found the giant egg, another inside, and two in the oviduct that could not pass due to the mass in her abdomen, poor thing.
Aww bless her </3

It is interesting though, I didn't realise it was possible (until I saw it), I doubt I'll see it again, for a while at least.

Believe it or not I read about this in a chicken raising magazine a few weeks ago at a bookstore. It went over different types of "messed up" eggs and what may cause them.

Back
Top Bottom