One "molting" hen with clear diarrhea

DelBlueHen

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
One of my four second year hens has been looking like she's molting for about 2 weeks. I thought/think it's odd that only one of them looked that way; I would expect all four of them to be molting. I've been discovering dampness in the same spot under the roost for about 4-5 days. Tonight I finally saw the culprit: it's the same girl who looks like she's molting, and she squirted clear liquid right of her vent. Her activity is fine, no lethargy or squatting. Out of 5 laying hens, who all look fine besides her, I've only been getting one egg a day for about 2 weeks. It has been very hot, and they've been drinking a lot of water. The last few days the temp has really dropped. I alternate AVC, garlic, and an electrolyte/vitamin mix with just fresh water. Gave them yogurt with mealworm sprinkles a few days ago. Can anyone tell me what may be going on? Now I'm worried that she's sick, not just molting. I'm good about inspecting poops and have studied all the poop pictures. There are NO vets that treat chickens in my area, so I have to rely on online info.

Thank you in advance! (No kids, just chickens, so I worry about them!)

Del

Chickens usually molt from August to December. Every hen is different on when she starts. Poor layers and roosters will molt first. It sounds like your hen could be drinking lots of water because of the heat and not eating much which can cause watery droppings, plus you are feeding high protein treats and dairy which also loosens the droppings, so feeding just a good quality ration and plain water might firm her droppings up. Sometimes less is more.

Chickens usually molt from August to December. Every hen is different on when she starts. Poor layers and roosters will molt first. It sounds like your hen could be drinking lots of water because of the heat and not eating much which can cause watery droppings, plus you are feeding high protein treats and dairy which also loosens the droppings, so feeding just a good quality ration and plain water might firm her droppings up. Sometimes less is more.

Ok, thanks so much for replying. I'll back off and check for results.

What is that fluffy chicken you have in your photo? It's so cute!

She is a bantam frizzle cochin. They are my favorites. Thank you.
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom