One month old chick losing muscle tone?

MamasaurusJess

Hatching
Aug 28, 2021
I have 13 bantam chicks that are almost one month old (a couple different breeds). We hatched them at home and they’ve all seemed fine and healthy. Yesterday I noticed one seemed to be having a little trouble moving. I picked it up and it moved both legs and I couldn’t find an injury of any kind. Then this afternoon I notice it isn’t really walking at all. It kind of drags itself when it needs to move and just lays down. I picked it up again and I don’t know how to describe it right but when I turn it over it’s body just feels “soft?” It’s feet and legs don’t really seem to have any tone to them. It doesn’t cry when I move it around so I don’t think it’s injured but I’m a little shocked that it seems to be deteriorating so quickly. Any ideas for how I can improve him? Vitamin deficiency? A disease that could potentially be contagious? He’s still in with the other chicks as they mostly leave him alone and he is able to drag himself to food and water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 16
Actually, you're not far off the mark. A riboflavin deficiency can cause these symptoms. Get some B-1 or just give her a little bit of a B-complex tablet each day.

This is only one of the most obvious guesses. There could be other reasons not so obvious. But treating the chick with B-vitamins can't hurt.

Actually, you're not far off the mark. A riboflavin deficiency can cause these symptoms. Get some B-1 or just give her a little bit of a B-complex tablet each day.

This is only one of the most obvious guesses. There could be other reasons not so obvious. But treating the chick with B-vitamins can't hurt.
Thank you! This may be a dumb question because I’m fairly new to chicken raising but is there a special formula of b vitamins for chicken or birds or just animals in general?

B-vitamins are just B-vitamins. I just buy mine from the vitamin aisle at Walmart. I'm treating a hen right now with B-100 complex, and she gets the whole tabet once a day directly into her beak. You might figure out a more convenient way to dose a small chick. Bs are water soluble so you can dissolve the tablet in water.

I usually recommend super b complex 1/4 tablet daily, crushed into a spoonful of water or food. It is hard to overdose. Don’t get B12 by mistake because that does not have all b vitamins. I would alao take the chick aside and feed a little wet chick feed and some scrambled egg or tuna to get it eating.

Back
Top Bottom