one more newbi question

buffedbarredandbrahmed

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
austin tx
i have 1 barred rock 1 buff o and 1 light brahma. they are all 3 almost 2 weeks old. they have been raised together. i have noticed that the light brahma is a little bit smaller than the other 2. this morning every thing was ok but when i came home the light b had a little pasty butt and the barred rock kept pecking it. i cleaned up the lightb put her back in and they still pecked at her butt. i have her in a make shift box now to give her a rest. what should i do? maybe give her some milk and suger till she puts on some weight. if so how long can they be seperated then put back together without the other 2 picking on her? or will they stop

thanks so much j k k

I understand that chickens are lactose intolerant or so I'm told so probably shouldn't give her milk. Just give her regular feed and maybe try a red lamp if you aren't already. Keep the pasty bum clean.

Pecking is natural. If the Brahma is not squawking when they do it then maybe it isn't out of the ordinary. Try switching to red light and reducing the brightness overall. Chickens will pick on the runt when they are stressed. Usually in a brooder, they are stressed because it is too bright or too hot.

They might be bored with their ration a bit and looking for something different. Throw them some treats or greens (there is a chart on this site of goodies you can give them). Rolled oats might be good as this will help with the runny poo. Make sure they have some grit if you give them treats.

There are salves and things you can put on the chick to keep the others from eating it. My runt always had its toe picked when the chickens were getting crazy from too much light. I would reduce brightness and put pine tar on the toe. That worked.

My chickens love milk. I've given chickens milk since I was a kid, and I've never known them to be lactose intolerant. Pasty butt usually meant for me that they didn't have a spot to 'cool down' or that it was too dry in the brooder. Keep them hydrated. Milk or water w/ sugar.

well at 10 days old we are now down to 2 chicks
if i were to pick up 2 chicks on wed my chicks would be 2 weeks old
would they be ok with new borns

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom