One nasty biddie

4 luv of eggs

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Westminster, MD
A few weeks ago I posted about one of my pullets being pecked bloody by another. I split the six chicks between two brooders, used Rooster Booster Pick No More and all seemed to settle down for awhile. When I clean the brooders, I put them all together in one while I clean the other. When I do that, the uproar starts all over again. The one that was picked on (MDH calls her Scabs) literally screamed and jumped out of the brooder.

Last week I heard the tell-tale sound of feather pulling (no, no, OUCH) and she was picking on another chick. Right now I have them separated...four in one brooder and two in another. Now it sounds like she's terrorizing her last hatchmate. I don't even like putting my hand in the brooder to change her water and food. She pecks at me hard when I do anything. MDH wants to put her in with the big girls in the coop to get her comeuppance but I know that would be a death sentence.

Right now they are six weeks old. I'm pretty sure she's a hen because she looks like the other three Production Reds. I know that at this age, it's not an indication of her temperment as a hen but she is one nasty lady right now. Is there any hope for her?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
This is what works for me: when they peck me hard, I grab their little beaks and say "no" sharply. On really stubborn chicks I might give them a finger peck back on top of their head.

You can also try picking her up as she is coming towards you. Just scoop her up with one hand, and if she pecks - grab her beck with your other hand.

Thank you. I've been doing the finger peck thing but I'm so afraid it will just make her "up the anti" so to speak. I'll have to let her know I'm not afraid of her though.

Scoop her up - if you are unsure at first, use both hands and cup her body. Then tuck her in next to you like a baby or football. Rub her chest and under her beak. She might struggle but keep up with it (she is struggling to get her way, and this is to be your way). Sometimes for a really struggling chick, I will softly shhhh, sshhhhhhhh the chick and for some reason it tends to calm them.

Do not be afraid of her, remember you can pick her up but she cannot pick you up
big_smile.png

Quote:
One thing to remember when carrying a hen football style, you have a good chance of getting pooped on. I've ended up with poop in my pocket more than once
roll.png

Last edited:
I also do this for my Roo's! If I have one who pecks at me or even looks like he is going to challenge me (most are sweety's) I will pick them up ASAP and carry them around with me the entire time I am in the coop/pen. I even hold them while I give all the others treats! They really don't like that! Then when I am finished and only when they are not struggling I will set them down and give them the last treat I saved for them. If they have been bad while i was holding them I will toss the treat in the pen! If they were good, I make sure they get it! It only takes once or twice for most! It can be a pain to try to work with 1 arm, especially if you have a struggling roo in the other but it is worth it! Like I said usually once is enough. seldom does it take more than 4 times.
The important thing is to not let them get their way! Make them submit to you and your power. You are the dominant ROO in the flock! If you give in or show fear you are asking to be treated like all the rest.... and to be put in your place in the pecking order!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Thanks big stack.. your post was really helpfull.. I just got a RIR Roo and wanted to know how to handle him as he get's older.. I thought that I might spend alot of time with him and make sure he knows who's boss from day one. Is this a good idea?

Yeah, we added 11 new 18 week old started pullets (Gold Comets) to our flock of 19 bringing it up to an even 30. We did this about a month ago and most of the pecking order has settled down now. But there are 2 mean-ass, nasty old biddies who love to beat up on the Youngsters. I let the flock out at dusk and let them free-range for about an hour before they go in. Almost every evening there'll be an incident where one of the Youngsters will find herself too close to one of these butt-heads and they'll jump on her like a Junebug. They'll have her down on the ground a just pecking the crap out of her. It's got to hurt and they pull feathers out too. I've been taking my garden hose down and when I see it starting I'll drench both of the biddies until they stay way over across the yard and leave the Youngsters alone. I hate that but I just don't know what to do short of wringing some necks which I just can't bring myself to do.

Back
Top Bottom