One of my chickens is laying 2 eggs a day

600mg Calcium + D3 not sure if 800mg is "too much"
Thank you. I crushed up 2 of them and mixed with and egg. Ravioli ate most and the other girls have some; I figured it’d even out to about what she needed. Now that i know the correct amount, hopefully it helps if I continue to give her a bit each day.

I know I probably just need to accept the fact that she is coming into reproductive problems…but these are what all of her eggs look like the past week or so. Blotchy and brittle.

Attachments

• IMG_7203.jpeg
    IMG_7203.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7202.jpeg
    IMG_7202.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7198.jpeg
    IMG_7198.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7193.jpeg
    IMG_7193.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7194.jpeg
    IMG_7194.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 19
How long is it okay to give calcium for? I’ve been giving about 600mg a day, usually crushed up in some egg yolk. She’s still laying 2 eggs a day, one brittle, but normal-er one and one squishy soft shelled one.

I think she was having a hard time laying yesterday. She seemed to want to be alone in a corner and sleep, sometimes like a flamingo, but was fine when I finally got some calcium plus D3 in her and she laid an egg. Super soft shelled, it was the second egg of the day.

Anyways, is the calcium plus D3 okay to give to her long term?

Attachments

• IMG_7243.jpeg
    IMG_7243.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7246.jpeg
    IMG_7246.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 17
She's not a RIR. I think it may also just take time as her system starts to process the supplementation you are giving her, and hopefully smooth out and become a bit more optimized. I have a hen who has always laid an egg with a bit of a chalky bloom, makes it look pinkish, and I think it's fine. All in the range of normal. So you may see, one the double eggs and the soft eggs and all that part hopefully regulates, I would be less concerned about what the shell looks like from day to day, and just that it is one solid egg per day. GL!

How long is it okay to give calcium for? I’ve been giving about 600mg a day, usually crushed up in some egg yolk. She’s still laying 2 eggs a day, one brittle, but normal-er one and one squishy soft shelled one.
I think as long as she is having problems, unless the eggs start getting lots of calcium deposits on them.
How long have you been give it to her now?

Back
Top Bottom