One of my chickens was killed and I am full of guilt

samuel46383

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I got 3 baby chicks about a year ago and my first time every owning chicks. I walked outside this morning and found feathers everywhere, along with the remains of one of my chickens. The other two were still in their enclosure. I feel tremendous guilt because I failed to protect them. I know it sounds silly but I feel so guilty and sad. They have a nice coup and then I used chicken wire to build a 15x15 enclosure around the coup, with netting on top. I thought it was safe and secure, but obviously it wasn't. Would love to hear some validation because I feel like I failed. Thanks for any kind words of wisdom you may have or prior experiences. Sameer

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss! :hugs Don't beat yourself up on this, yes it's sad but nothing is your fault. Chickens are a huge learning experience and unfortunately they don't come with a manual. I have done things in the past that have left me feeling guilt ridden, but it's a useless emotion that only harms yourself. You did what you thought was right, the birds all know they are loved. :hugs

Definitely swap out the chicken wire for hardware cloth, chicken wire is so flimsy. Make sure nothing can dig or tunnel under either. I like to use buried railroad ties, they are big and heavy. Critters can smell air movement, hence they dig. Build and over build to protect your flock.

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I got 3 baby chicks about a year ago and my first time every owning chicks. I walked outside this morning and found feathers everywhere, along with the remains of one of my chickens. The other two were still in their enclosure. I feel tremendous guilt because I failed to protect them. I know it sounds silly but I feel so guilty and sad. They have a nice coup and then I used chicken wire to build a 15x15 enclosure around the coup, with netting on top. I thought it was safe and secure, but obviously it wasn't. Would love to hear some validation because I feel like I failed. Thanks for any kind words of wisdom you may have or prior experiences. Sameer
I am amazed at the number and speed of responses I have received. Thank you so much, this really helps!

I'm sorry for your loss. Do you lock them up in a coop at night? You may try switching out the chicken wire for some hardware cloth.
I have a coup and I let them roam in the chicken wire 15x15 enclosure I built around the coup. I have bird netting on top of the enclosure because I thought that would protect from hawks/eagles. I should obviously close them in their coup at night (it has latches and doors). HOw else can I protect them from something digging below the coup or what else should I do?

Would love to hear some validation because I feel like I failed. Thanks for any kind words of wisdom you may have or prior experiences. Sameer
Dear friend, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Please don't waste energy feeling guilty about what you can't change. You were doing your best and now you're here to learn something better if possible. Instead please put that energy into shoring up your defenses for the survivors. It sounds like there are some alterations that can help which others have mentioned already.

It sounds very much according to your description that you may not be dealing with an aerial predator.. but something more ground based. Tactical photos might help.

It's okay to grieve if you're sad about the loss. It reminds us to treasure that which we still have. If you'd like to share photo in her memory?? :)

Back
Top Bottom