One of my chicks died. I only had 2, now only 1. Now his brother won't stop chirping unless I hold him. What do I do?

Sad Chick

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hi. I had recently hatched chicks, about 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, today one of the 2 chicks was eaten by some sort of animal. Now, every time I get close to the brooder, the last chick will try to jump up into my arms, almost like he/ her is seeing me as their brother. He also chirps when I am not holding him. How do I help?

Oh ok. But I don't exactly have Small stuffed animals. Do big ones work? Also, can the stuffed animal have fluff/ fur?

Hi. I had recently hatched chicks, about 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, today one of the 2 chicks was eaten by some sort of animal. Now, every time I get close to the brooder, the last chick will try to jump up into my arms, almost like he/ her is seeing me as their brother. He also chirps when I am not holding him. How do I help?
Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you found your way here to folks who can help.

A mirror and a radio will help, but nothing takes the place of a buddy.
I went to the trouble to find a buddy for my lone chick, and in the end, they both turned out to be cockerels…😜
In this pic, Peepo, the lonely one, happily showing his new friend the mirror and the water bottle. IMG_2829.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom