One of my chicks doesn't like to walk or even stand.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdix, May 28, 2010.

1. jdix

jdix Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    I've got one chick that is always is laying down. She'll lay down to eat, when I put her outside she'll walk around for a little while then she'll just lay there. Sometimes when she's laying down its almost on her side. And she's fine with laying like that. She's about 2 weeks old right now. She's the biggest and the most developed of any of the 4 chicks. My wifes nervous that she could be sick and get the others sick as well. Its been like this since we got her at a couple days old. I've checked her legs and the look the same as the others

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

RIR or Buckeye

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Laying around till treat time. Laying down to eat etc. Just doesn't want to stand up very long.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Since we got her.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No clue.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

worms, crickets, egg shells, chicken feed, water. I just added some ACV to the water last night.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Brown and white. Solid

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Nothing

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I'd like to either treat or cull if she is going to be miserable, I doubt a vet bill will be worth it.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No wound, no picture, could take one, but basically she just stands around, a video would display what she's exhibiting better, but that might be tricky.

11) Describe the housing. How many chickens are in what size coop.

4 birds in a large dog cage now. During the day when I'm home they're in a 20'x10' run. They started of in a tote.

12) What kind of bedding do you use?

Pine chips.

13) Have you checked for mites/lice? Has your bird been wormed?

I checked her out as best I could with the naked eye but haven't seen anything.

2. ScratchesWithChickens

ScratchesWithChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    San Diego
    I hope someone can help you, I have a chick like that. The only other thing is that she has an abnormally fast heartbeat. I worry about her but she doesn't seem like she's in pain. Just tired all the time. She's been like that since she hatched.

3. ScratchesWithChickens

ScratchesWithChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    San Diego
    No one have any answers? Bump!

4. casanchez12

casanchez12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Mine cant stand. She is not a chick a few months old born september or it may be the hen. hard to tell now everyone is big. it is a silkie. I will post if i get any answers. Im so sorry, i cant help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by