One of my girls is acting sluggish

I would give her undiluted Liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight orally twice a day for 3 days.
This is in addition to getting the Mixed Corid water into her throughout the day.

If vet care is an option, that would be a very good idea, but I absolutely understand if it's not. The poop and her condition is very concerning. You'll want to push fluids and get her hydrated with the Corid water, but she may not make it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Endocox (Toltrazuril)
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/endocox-powder

Sulfa antibiotic
https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet

UPDATE ON TIFFANY: I have given her the suggested Corid for 2 days now. She is now eating hand fed wet food, and a bit of water. The antibiotics won't be here until Friday (4 days away) She has not had any more bloody poop. She seems more alert, however she is still not able to stand.

UPDATE ON TIFFANY: I have given her the suggested Corid for 2 days now. She is now eating hand fed wet food, and a bit of water. The antibiotics won't be here until Friday (4 days away) She has not had any more bloody poop. She seems more alert, however she is still not able to stand.
The only water she's getting is medicated with Corid correct?

I'd work on keeping her eating and drinking the medicated water.
Not being able to stand may be due to something else like Marek's disease.

Yes, the water is medicated with the Corid. I mean she does not even try to stand. When I fed her and give her water, it's like she gets excited and one leg is stiff and the other one shakes with fingers curled up. ALSO: when I purchased them they "claimed" that they ALL had been vaccinated for Mareks and Fowl Pox
The only water she's getting is medicated with Corid correct?

I'd work on keeping her eating and drinking the medicated water.
Not being able to stand may be due to something else like Marek's disease.

Last edited:
Yes, the water is medicated with the Corid. I mean she does not even try to stand. When I fed her and give her water, it's like she gets excited and one leg is stiff and the other one shakes with fingers curled up. ALSO: when I purchased them they "claimed" that they ALL had been vaccinated for Mareks and Fowl Pox
It may be that she's suffering from some neurological problems or she has Marek's. She's the right age for the disease to start to show up.
Could be that she's very weak from the Coccidiosis as well, it can do a lot of damage if not caught in time.
You can start giving her Vitamin E (400IU) daily to see if that helps.

Once you finish the Corid treatment for 5-7 days, let us know, and I'll tell you what other vitamins to add.

If whomever you purchased them from said they were vaccinated, then they probably were.
The Marek's vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus, it may help reduce the formation of tumors. So it's very possible that Marek's could be causing the problems with her legs.
Fowl Pox vaccine usually only covers certain strains, so again, it's possible for birds to end up with Fowl Pox too.

If you lose her and really want to know more about what caused her decline, then getting testing/necropsy through your state lab will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

It may be that she's suffering from some neurological problems or she has Marek's. She's the right age for the disease to start to show up.
Could be that she's very weak from the Coccidiosis as well, it can do a lot of damage if not caught in time.
You can start giving her Vitamin E (400IU) daily to see if that helps.

Once you finish the Corid treatment for 5-7 days, let us know, and I'll tell you what other vitamins to add.

If whomever you purchased them from said they were vaccinated, then they probably were.
The Marek's vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus, it may help reduce the formation of tumors. So it's very possible that Marek's could be causing the problems with her legs.
Fowl Pox vaccine usually only covers certain strains, so again, it's possible for birds to end up with Fowl Pox too.

If you lose her and really want to know more about what caused her decline, then getting testing/necropsy through your state lab will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
As I do hope she recovers 100%, I understand. In your previous reply you mentioned giving her the Corid .10ml twice a day for 3 days. So am I now to continue that for a total of 5 to 7 days?

Also another question she has been laying on her side for this entire time. And as you would imagine I clean up her poop every time I see it, but during the night hours she does get it all over her side that she is laying on. I dont know what to do because I'm afraid she may get some infection or something from wet feces on her side constantly. I want to bath her but don't want to stress her any more than she is already stressed.

As I do hope she recovers 100%, I understand. In your previous reply you mentioned giving her the Corid .10ml twice a day for 3 days. So am I now to continue that for a total of 5 to 7 days?

I would give her undiluted Liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight orally twice a day for 3 days.
This is in addition to getting the Mixed Corid water into her throughout the day.
You give the undiluted oral drench for 3 days along with getting the mixed Corid water into her throughout the day. The mixed water is given for 5-7 days.

If she's really stressed, then giving her a bath may put her over the edge. You'll have to access her condition and use your best judgement on that. But I agree, getting her cleaned up is a very good idea.
You may be able to just spray off her back feathers under some warm water and not get her completely soaked.
Dry her well, if you have a hairdryer use that to dry her. They seem to like the warm air.

During times when you can monitor her, you can try placing her in a sling to get her more upright and get her body weight off the leg. There's many versions of slings and chairs. Photos and examples of how creative folks can be, quite a few in the link below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

First thing in the morning I'm going to change out the water and just put ACV and the Corid in this time. She is eating and drinking mostly in the afternoons. I know one of the hens poop is very soft almost runny. I'm assuming it's hers. I may isolate her in a dog crate, (I have to go buy one) and keep her on my enclosed patio so I can keep a better eye on her, until she is better. I am feeding them 16% and 17% mix for food and mealworms as treats.
They have been vaccinated for Mareks and Fowl Pox.
The rest of our flock is fine. IDK what lice or mites look like. And IDK what her crop is. We are first time chicken owners.
Everyone is new at this in the beginning,.. If one reads as much as possible the knowledge comes mainly with experience and this group can knowledgeably answer most questions ☺️
I would give your hen a drop of oregano oil in a quart of her water it’s as helpful as an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom