one of my girls looks like her throat is swollen

boxer62

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2018
one of my girls looks like her throat is swollen and she isn't participating like she normally does

Are you describing her crop which is located in her right upper chest? If her crop is full of food and water, be sure to check it again first thing in the morning before she has anything to eat. Does it feel firm or puffy? Do you have a picture of her swollen throat? How old is she?
upload_2018-12-11_19-30-3.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-11_19-29-2.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-11_19-29-2.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
she is 6 months old, but it is her throat not the crop I have at least 4 that just laid their 1st eggs this morning I will take a pic in the morning

If you can take a picture of the swelling in the throat it may help. Also describe if it feels puffy like air under the skin, soft like pus, or hard like a tumor. Is her neck crooked at all?

If you can take a picture of the swelling in the throat it may help. Also describe if it feels puffy like air under the skin, soft like pus, or hard like a tumor. Is her neck crooked at all?
today looks all better and she is acting fine, it is just strange

thank you, I have another question, i'm really not sure how to navigate on this site yet but my question is my girls just started laying on 12/11 I now have 6 eggs do I wash and refrigerate

thank you, I have another question, i'm really not sure how to navigate on this site yet but my question is my girls just started laying on 12/11 I now have 6 eggs do I wash and refrigerate
No washing is necessary unless there have droppings on them. You can remove dirt with a dry cloth. The eggs have a natural antibacterial coating or bloom on them, and that will be washed away if exposed to water. When washing, you should use very hot water, or bacteria can be pushed through the porous surface if cool water is used. You may leave them out on the counter if you will be eating them soon, but I refrigerate mine if I have a lot, or if I am not going to eat them in the next week. Here is an article about washing eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cleaning-and-storing-fresh-eggs.66816/

Back
Top Bottom