One of my hens came home with chicks... and we don't have a rooster!!! What breed is one of the chic

icyangel222

Songster
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
MN
Hi yall. I got a white Ameraucana hen that I just purchased this year as a chick in May. To try and make a long story short, one of my older Rhode Island Red hens would chase and bite her on the head and I guess eventually that drove her off or something, but she'd come back to visit once every few weeks then be gone again and soon as she came back.

Anyway she kept running off and I had wondered if she was visiting one of our neighbors down the road cause I saw chickens in their yard at one time. And today, she came home with 2 chicks. One looked just like she did as a chick the other is brown and we don't have any brown ones let alone a rooster. Apparently she had been visiting the neighbors chickens and they must have a rooster. I'm trying to figure out what kind the brown one is. I looked through efowl.com cause they have pictures of chicks with the chickens but I saw no matches. Anyone have any ideas? I know ameraucanas come in various colors but usually they have some sort of markings but this one has none that I can tell so far.

And something tells me my hen is gonna come home with more baby chicks in the future. Oh boy.
roll.png

Too funny! Chipmunk chick is classic EE coloring and I have never seen a brown chick that dark! Good luck figuring breeds! Any chance you can swing by the neighbors and ask them about their roo? Or just drive by and look for the potential papa?

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go for a walk, it's actually a little ways down the road from here. Those chicks must have had a long journey getting back to our property. I hope I can see who's chickens she's been mingling with. I might have to knock on the door and see what the scoop is. lol it'd be an interesting conversation for sure. "Hey, your rooster's been fertilizing my hen's eggs".
yippiechickie.gif
x)

I wonder if she started out the trek home with more chicks, but they didn't make it? Strong little ones for sure.. What a good Mama wanting to come and show them to you!

So cute!

MB

I looked at partridge rock, the chick seems too light colored to match unless some happen to be darker. http://www.efowl.com/Partridge_Plymouth_Rock_Chickens_p/2015.htm The legs are brown colored. Mommy's legs are blue, the white one has greenish/yellowish legs which is odd but mommy's sister also has the greenish/yellow colored legs so I guess that part fits.

I tried to get a close up of the feet, this is the best I could do at the moment. Color might be slightly off due to my camera but it's close enough. It seems to have a very dark body like almost black if not it probably is black and slightly lighter brown head and a white/grayish chest that apparently I didn't notice. The brown one is a real talker too, it peeps loudly a lot.

I wonder if she started out the trek home with more chicks, but they didn't make it? Strong little ones for sure.. What a good Mama wanting to come and show them to you!

So cute!

MB
LOL, yeah I'm actually really surprised that she brought them home. I think she did have more chicks but the others died. I know she did at least have 3 but we lost one. We didn't know she was sitting out there with chicks until later in the day, but after discovering she had babies with her we found a dead one on the ground. It looked like something pecked it cause it had an injury. Seems like one of the other chickens pecked it. (not nice)

Just posting an image of it for the heck of it, it would have been interesting to be able to raise this one and see what it looks like grown up. Seems like it could have been a half and half cross with whoever the dad was because of the light brown markings it has, it's different then the other Ameraucana chick we have but has somewhat similar markings. Really sad I lost this one, I would've enjoyed it. This is the one we found dead on the ground. Looks like it would've been a pretty chicken.

Yeah, but too soon to call them anything, haven't put much thought into it. The brown one I'm thinking of naming something like Chocolate. The other I don't know yet, might just give it whatever random name pops in my head which tends to work out.

Back
Top Bottom