one of my hens just honked

ufoundwaldo

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
So, I am thinking I may have a rooster and unfortuately s/he is my only Easter Egger. My birds are about 14 weeks old and today my Easter Egger stood up tall and honked a couple of times...do hens honk? S/he is also a little bit of a bully too, but i was hoping that the breed was just a little more aggressive than the others. Any thoughts?

I have a couple of honking hens. One is my barnevelder who is nearly a year old, and the other is one of my BCM chicks who just turned 10 weeks. It's not a very pleasant sound, not cute like a cluck, cluck, but I can't hold it against them. Don't give up on your bird too soon!

A couple of my girls honked for a bit when they were around 10 weeks, they are now almost 17 weeks and I haven't heard any of them honk anymore. When one honked the first time my husband asked me if we had ducks that look like chickens.
lol.png

wow, just hearing others have had the same experience really helps. I was quite startled and confused when she honked but she was quite proud of herself. Didn't know exactly what to do. Now, i will just be patient. Thanks.

My EE girl honks. I thought she had hurt herself at first but nope. My EE roo isn't crowing yet, but that could be because there are two roos next door that crow most of the day so he doesn't feel he needs to. He tends to just make little other odd noises instead. I ended up doing a search on here and found that apparently EEs like to make lots of silly sounds
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom