one of my Japanese quail looks sick , loss of feather - lethargic HELP!!

4roues

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I am quite worried...i noticed a few weeks ago that one of my jap quail feathers were not looking healthy. I believe that she stopped laying eggs too a few days or week ago. Now the cage floor is full of feather and when i pick her up, i can pluck the feather off easily, mainly on her tummy. She is lethargic and not as usual. i have taken her out of the cage to isolate her, and she is way too quiet and not active as she normally is. what are your thought??

Well after doing some research I realized that my sick female cortunix is most likely a silver pearl button quail (althought it was sold to me as a cortunix! - i had my first quail 10 months ago, ok its more like pets ;)- ) have a look at the picture and let me know what you think.

Although she may not be a cortunix, she seems to be getting along very well with the others, and I have never noticed any fighting of aggressive behavior towards her.

So she has been spending the night away from the others (1male and two female cortunix (real ones!!).
The male seems to be missing her since he has been calling this morning) and i dont think she ate of drink any water since, but that could be related to stress? her feces looks normal, and she is not moving much. any advice would be more than welcome....

Check her over well for mites, fleas or lice. Look carefully around the vent and behind the neck. That is where the bugs will hide and lay their eggs. Most bugs don't hang out on the bird during the day, but you will see a lot of irritated red skin. It she does have bugs, you will need to treat her with a good dusting or permethrin spray. Most likely all the quail have bugs if she does so you should treat the entire flock.

Make sure they are on a good diet with high protein as well. A bad diet will lead to illness. Also make sure they have a good dust bath area to keep the skin and feathers in good shape. Dust bathing helps to repel bugs.

You might want to add some vitamin/mineral supplement to their diets. Even some probiotics will boost the immune system.

Last edited:
thanks twocrowsranch,
i had a look, and could not see anything that looks like mites, fleas or lice. she does have irritated skin, and lots of bald spot where she lost the feathers. i have also noticed an abnormal looking excrescence on its back, above the vent (see picture)

i feed my quails with chicks starter, top layer mix, and some grit. i do very rarely give them a dust bath - i will ensure i do it more.

she has barely eating, look distressed and lonely without her mates...

That looks like a bug infestation. So I would dust the birds and their space down with some Sevin or Permethrin powder of some sort. DE will also work well. Generally birds with mites usually have worms as well. So get them all wormed if you have not done so in the last year.

Quail need a high protein feed of 24% to 26%. So make sure they are eating right as well for good health. And yes, get the dust bathing area ready. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom