One of my light brahmas is acting strange..can you help?

JanaBanana1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
I got 4 light brahmas in march, and just introduced them the rest of the grown chickens and one rooster about 2 weeks or so ago. We have one that at times is a "loner" and the black feathers around her neck are not as black as the other babies? When I pick her up she doesn't peep as loud as the others so I thought she almost acts like she is deaf? Now I notice she is doing this weird twitching with her neck? Almost like a tremor? She seems to be eating fine. I just went out and gave them all some bread and she ate it? Can you tell me what this tremor/shake thing she does with her head could possible be?
thank you

When she shakes her head, is it when you're talking to her? Some chickens are very sensitive to the human voice, and they will sort of jerk their head a tiny bit when you talk to them. I've noticed this with certain breeds of chicks. I had a batch of silkies that did that head shaking you've mentioned.

Now, it is possible that she could have an upper respiratory illness going on, but if you're not seeing any nasal discharge or anything like that, then she's probably fine.

Sharon

No, in fact I just went out again and threw pieces of cheese from a distance and she just went off in a corner alone while all the other chickens scrambled for pieces. I watched her doing the strange neck things from afar. Its almost like one of those animals you see that are caged for life.. I think something neurological is wrong with her :(

She is drinking but is tucking her head and sleeping a lot right now? Anyone have any suggestions to what this could be?

I think I figured it out.. her crop is really full. I gave her a bit of oil and hope it helps her.

Back
Top Bottom