One of our chicks died

Lorax

Chirping
Jul 13, 2020
I guess the answer to this is that it's one of those things but...we hatched two live chicks under a broody on 13th July. They were doing so well, no sign of problems at all but this morning only one came out of the coop and when we went to have a look, Sunny was dead in the nest.

Sunny looked 'flattened'. At first we thought s/he may have suffocated under its mum but I wonder if s/he died and then got flattened, because surely if a chick couldn't breathe they would get out from under their Ma? Sunny was fairly robust looking already.

Any thoughts? It's now just Yoyo and her mum...

i had a chick that hatched out completely fine under a broody. it was such a character and so cute. at about 2-3 days old i noticed that when the chick drank water it was unsteady on its feet. i kept an eye on it and soon it was walking on its hocks and very lethargic. on day 4 i open the coop and he looks squished and partially buried, i thought he was dead but he was moving slightly. his head looked very bent almost like wry neck but it went back to normal after i brought him in and warmed him up.i gave him some vitamin b drops and some nutri boost. i then placed him under my heat lamp. unfortunately after an hour i went to check on him and give him some water and he was dead. he was a lovely pure poland
this was very sad for us as he was one of our favorites. but it baffled me as i have no idea what happened to him. i have 2 chicks under a broody but they are sounding a little congested. other than that though they are bouncing around completely fine. i have been giving them water with poultry boost and vitamin b drops, feeding them medicated feed and i gave them some boiled egg today. i hope i don't loose any more

Back
Top Bottom