1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of our dogs is a bone hider

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Lucky the bone hider.

[​IMG]

she is just to funny about hiding bones. All thru deer season they get their share of leg bones and ribs from deer and Lucky has taken to hiding them. Under a tarp, in the flower bed, pushed under leaves. The other 3 dogs are happy to chew on them and just leave them. The the bone hider goes behind them and stashes them for a rainy day I guess. lol

Steve

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    One of our AmStaffs, Maggie, does that. We've never had one that has hidden bones before. Its really funny watching her decide where to hide it, and is evidently a really serious decision. She has hidden them in the sofa, in DH's closet, under futon pillows. It is hysterical!

3. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    hahaha So glad mine don't hide them.

4. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

We have the same issue with our Pyr. She made he Xmas rawhide last for almost 2 days by lording our it, burying or hiding it, digging it up and sometimes even chewing it. She even passed up mealtime because she couldn't leave the bone unattended [​IMG] It's actually kind of funny. I believe when she was younger one of the dog stole her bone when she wasn't looking. But, now she's the Alpha and out weights the next in line by about 60-70 lb. so you would think she wouldn't need to worry.

Jim

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Eeew! My old dog used to take her rawhides out into the snow to bury them, then would go get them after a couple of weeks. By then they had reconstituted back into pliable skin - gross! She'd run around shaking them, and they made the grossest flapping noises! I had forgotten all about that icky memory until I read this - thanks! [​IMG]

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

She remembers where she hides them to, I was watching her today and she was making the rounds checking on them. Strange dog.

Steve

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I don't have bone hiders but I do have bone hoarders. My cavalier Jack and one of his sons, Tucker (5 months) try to gather all the bones, treats up in one pile and then guard them. Not sure what to do about that.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Our 13 year old Beagle is a "hider" too. He does hide bones outside, but his favorite thing to hide are stuffed animals (I pick them up at yard sales for 25 cents). He carries them around outside until he finds the prefect spot then buries it ~ sometimes it takes him an hour. We live in the woods so there are lots of good hiding spots. He usually has 3 or 4 hidden and always remembers where they are.

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Gotta amke sure no one has stolen your treasure! [​IMG]

10. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a corgi that likes to hide her bones in the kids beds under the sheets. So glad my bed is too high off the ground for her to get into. YUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by