One of the new kittens gravely ill- reached Rainbow Bridge

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
Well we woke up this morning and my youngest who is 12 says "mom, Saske was sleeping in the litter box and doesn't want to get up or eat & drink". I went to check him out and he didn't look right. These are the kittens that we've had for 3 weeks on Wednesday and I posted a thread about them.
longhairkitten.jpg

I called our vet and dropped the kitten and a stool sample off because they were swamped this morning. Mind you we are having a flea epidemic here in our town for some strange reason. Never had them before in my life and now all my animals have them. Anyway, I call the vet mid morning to find out that the poor thing is anemic due to the fleas, not to mention hypothermic and has a viral infection. I also find out that the woman that we got the kittens from lied about their age. Come to find out they were only 2-3 weeks old when we took them home. Had I known that I would have been supplementing some kitten formula.
Oh I am mad. So now they tell me that this poor kitten may not make it. He's only weighing 1.5 lbs. They've been eating dry kitten food and water but that's it. It had been so long (8 years) since we had a kitten in the house, I forgot how small they were supposed to be. Or in this case, how much bigger they were supposed to be in reference to their supposed age. Now I have a fading kitten that I'm force feeding formula too every 90 min. Placed a heating pad on low and covered it with a towel to help maintain its body temperature. All three kittens and my adult cat got Advantage on today. Nothing like a $99 vet bill for some stupid woman just wanting to get rid of cats. I'm glad I took them, I just wish I had known their real ages so I could have given them a better start. I know they're better off then when I got them, but they could have gotten a lot more from me had I known. Sorry, just had to vent and figure out how I'm going to tell my 3 kids that one of the kittens might not make it.

Last edited:
That just sucks. Is it so hard for the lady who had the kittens to just keep them with the momma cat for another month! Shoot, if she didn't want them she should have shelled out the whole 20 bucks at a low cost spay clinic!!!

Oh, how hard that is!!
I'll be thinking of you. I had elderly cats while the kids were young, so we had the 'circle of life' talk quite a few times as they were growing up. And about how we should always say "I love you" to the people and critters we care about as often as possible because things happen.

And then we all cried like babies together when we lost a pet.

It's a hard lesson to learn and I wish my kids had never had to learn it. But they lost both grandfathers when they were quite young. And many pets since then.

Good luck with your kids, and in your kitten care. Like I said, I'll be sending good thoughts your way.
hugs.gif

Im so sorry to hear about your kitty. We are all pulling for it. All I can say about the woman you got them from is....

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!
smack.gif
Keep us updated...I hope it makes it, such a cutie!!

Thanks everyone for the support. I just got through feeding it another 3ml. of KDR Kitten Formula. Poor thing tries to meow but not a sound comes from it. My kids are older (17, 14 & 12) but it didn't make it any easier when I told them. They didn't have a whole lot to say. All I know is that if a person is going to keep an animal, they need to be ready to accept full responsibility for it. Now that we have an approximate age (5-6 weeks now), we can schedule for all three of them to get altered. My gosh, the pay vouchers will pay all but about $10-$20 of the altering. Tell me why she couldn't afford one cat when I can afford to get all three of them done? My husband ( and all who know him) knows that he is not a cat lover at all, but yet we have 1 cat and 3 kittens. Even more, is the fact that he is going to talk to one of his customers (a local carpet store) about getting remnents and/or scraps and build the little ones a great big playground. All this just makes me want to jack slap this person. I really feel like punching the wall right now. These poor kittens didn't stand a chance with her. The CVT (who also happens to be the President of the Newfoundland Club that I belong to) went to their storage room and brought out a huge box of Hills Science Diet Kitten Food Samples, 3 cans of Hills Science Diet moist food, the KDR and a srynge to force feed the formula to the little guy. They've done what they could do, I'm doing what I can do, the local Guardian Angels group helped pay the vet bill and now little Saske is in God's hands as far as his fate goes. Either way, the little guy will be loved. Here's hoping for the best.

He is a beautiful little guy, sure hope he pulls through. I just lost an abandoned kitten two weeks ago that was maybe two weeks old. I am a grown woman, but, when it comes to them babies I am a big sap, I still cry when I think of Maggie.

Thankfully you took the kittens and are giving them the best shot at life.

Funny how men swear they hate cats, yea right!!!!

I thought I would share a couple of recent pics of the little guy just in case. Leave it to me to take hundreds of pictures of all of my animals. His sister Roxy is having a hard time leaving his side. It's almost like they know something is just not right. So here is Saske....keep him in your prayers please.

100_3594.jpg

100_3592.jpg

100_3593.jpg

100_3597.jpg

I hope the little cutie makes it. I was on my way to the store on Nov 15 2005 and saw a lady on the side of the road. Thinking she might need help (dark,cold and rainy night) I turned around and as she tore outta there, i saw the 3 little kittens in the road that she left behind. We found a home for one and kept 2. We just gave one to my mother in law. So all three got good homes and are ok. But this was just up the road from the local shelter on top of it all. People can be so awful!!!!

I feel for you.
We have a litter of 7 week olds, and for whatever reason fleas have concentrated on this one little girl.

You do what you can and hope for the best.

You can use plain ivory dish washing liquid slathered all over the kitten except for eyes and ears, to smother the fleas. Apply it, then rinse.
It HAS TO BE PLAIN IVORY BRAND, no other because it will be too strong to use on the kitten.

Liquid geritol helps also.

Back
Top Bottom