One Pullet 8 months old with foam in eye

Panhandle chick

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
North Idaho
I let the chickens out today and noticed Coco was still in coop- at first I thought she got pecked in eye- obvious dripping on feathers under eye. I brought her in and rinsed eye with colodial silver and gave her nitridrench. I put warm cloth on eye and now it looks like the picture. I had no idea what foam in eye meant and really hope I don’t have to cull my flock of 30. Side note- neighbors chickens keep coming over and trying to eat/drink through the fence. Could they be the culprit? Coco has not pooped in over an hour and will hardly eat. Her breathing sound normal. Does foam always mean mycoplasma? Thank you

Attachments

• 9BD15DD7-5153-406A-A1B5-9718B0F3C248.jpeg
    9BD15DD7-5153-406A-A1B5-9718B0F3C248.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 13
You can flush the eye with eye was or saline, and then apply a dab of either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Is there a peck wound around the eye? If you notice sneezing or nasal drainage, or other symptoms, you may want to try to get Tylosin or contact your vet for an antibiotic to treat mycoplasma (MG.) There is no need to cull your flock, but you do need to close your flock to birds coming in or going out of your flock if there is a chance of MG. If you ever lose a bird, keep the body refrigerated, send it in to Kissimmee to your state vet for MG testing and a necropsy. Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

You can flush the eye with eye was or saline, and then apply a dab of either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Is there a peck wound around the eye? If you notice sneezing or nasal drainage, or other symptoms, you may want to try to get Tylosin or contact your vet for an antibiotic to treat mycoplasma (MG.) There is no need to cull your flock, but you do need to close your flock to birds coming in or going out of your flock if there is a chance of MG. If you ever lose a bird, keep the body refrigerated, send it in to Kissimmee to your state vet for MG testing and a necropsy. Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
No sneezing or nasal drainage yet- but will keep an eye on her. Thank you for the suggestions- I will get ointment on there- no peck injury but the left eye lid is swollen on top and bottom. Right eye is totally normal.

Thank you for the link! I did the ointment and waiting for tylosin.. she is acting really weird. Her eyes look clear now but she doesn’t want to do anything. When I let the flock out this morning I took her outside and she wasn’t pecking around- just sitting there 😢 she is drinking water but isn’t interested in eating. She hasn’t laid an egg in a few days either- should I be worried?

Back
Top Bottom