One sick chicken after another! What is going on??

I wondered that as well...no signs in stool. I know there are other worms too. Taking him into the emergency vet now to get it sorted out. I can't keep getting sick chickens and there is only one vet available to take him tomorrow but would include four hours of drive time. Plus he would be stuck there all day and I don't think he would get adequate care (syringe feeding) during his stay.

Greenfire vaccinates all of their birds for Mereks unless you tell them not to.
I don't think your birds have Mereks, per say, I was just saying that putting vaccinated and unvaccinated birds in the same brooder can cause some problems I've noticed.
Polish are fragile birds, and you have some huge bird breeds with them have you noticed some getting pecked on or chased away from the food?

I'm thinking coccidiosis. Have you had any top soil brought in from a different location? Have you had any visitors drive in with muddy tires and park near where the chickens range? Have you borrowed any garden implements that had mud and dirt on them? All of these events can import a new strain of coccidia what your chickens aren't resistant to. I would treat with Corid as the symptoms do point to coccidiosis.

Greenfire vaccinates all of their birds for Mereks unless you tell them not to.
I don't think your birds have Mereks, per say, I was just saying that putting vaccinated and unvaccinated birds in the same brooder can cause some problems I've noticed.
Polish are fragile birds, and you have some huge bird breeds with them have you noticed some getting pecked on or chased away from the food?
Correct, the only ones I'm unsure of are the polish and guineas and suspect they weren't vaccinated. Everyone get along and they have their pecking order figured out as of now. Beside the guineas, the polish are the largest ones as of now. The one that is currently sick was the "top rooster". He went from very spunky to tucked in overnight. The chickens all free range and we have multiple feeders and waterers so everyone can have a spot. They hang out in groups. But when it's hot they will all hang out together.

I'm thinking coccidiosis. Have you had any top soil brought in from a different location? Have you had any visitors drive in with muddy tires and park near where the chickens range? Have you borrowed any garden implements that had mud and dirt on them? All of these events can import a new strain of coccidia what your chickens aren't resistant to. I would treat with Corid as the symptoms do point to coccidiosis.
Thats what I started treatment with. One got better and one almost died. The one that almost died I stopped corid and gave poultry cell and vitamin b. He got "better" but is still tucked in. Then an old english started tucking her head in so I started treating with vitamins only. She got better quickly. Now I have another polish sick, presenting with the same symptoms. It has been extremely dry here but just got rain a couple of days ago. Haven't had anyone over, especially with mud.

Back
Top Bottom