one side of face swollen

chicken1997

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2018
i know one of my chickens has a respiratory disease but recently one side of his face got swollen. Will that swelling go down on its own over time or will i need to perform surgery of some sort? Its not covering his eye its not a big lump but noticeable. Its to the right of his eye the space in between eye and nostrils. the chicken does have eye discharge I've been given it tylan, cleaning eyes with solution and applying Neosporin on eye, and providing it vitamins and probiotics.

Could you please post a picture of the birds face? Pictures help a lot.
How long has this been going on?
Has it been eating and drinking normally?
I would also seperate him from the other birds to prevent possible spreading of the respiratory disease if you already haven’t.

i know one of my chickens has a respiratory disease but recently one side of his face got swollen. Will that swelling go down on its own over time or will i need to perform surgery of some sort? Its not covering his eye its not a big lump but noticeable. Its to the right of his eye the space in between eye and nostrils. the chicken does have eye discharge I've been given it tylan, cleaning eyes with solution and applying Neosporin on eye, and providing it vitamins and probiotics.
Welcome To BYC :welcome

Can you post some photos of your chicken?
What type of discharge is coming from the eye?

What Tylan are you using along with the dosage (injectable or water soluble)?
Did your chicken have any other symptoms of respiratory illness - coughing, sneezing, mucous, etc.?

Without seeing it, it's hard to know if you would be able to press the lump and express whatever is in there or if the area needs to be lanced.
If you have vet care, that is always best.

Here is an example of pressing pus from the eye

38C34E1C-B375-4EBE-96DA-8491A481B6D8.jpeg
Hi @Wyorp Rock this is a picture that @chicken1997 shared with me.

Attachments

• 3AF68E16-2816-4210-9B8F-3B1937511B2F.png
    3AF68E16-2816-4210-9B8F-3B1937511B2F.png
    845.2 KB · Views: 6
Thank you @Quackers3211 I got those too :)

It's hard to know which respiratory illness that is. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, ILT and Infectious Coryza are fairly common. IF there is a bad odor, then suspect Infectious Coryza.

I would continue to flush the eyes and apply the Neosporin or if you can find it, use Terramycin eye ointment.

You may be able to press on the sinus and get the pus out, it's worth a try.
I would also clean out his nostrils.

Injectable Tylan50 dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

If it's Mycoplasma, that usually responds fairly well to antibiotic treatment. Infectious Bronchitis and ILT are viral, so the antibiotics can help with secondary infection. Infectious Coryza, sometimes a sulfa drug is needed to clear that up.
All of these respiratory illnesses are contagious and make birds carriers. Those that have been exposed are also considered carriers.

ive been given him tylan orally for about 5 days but i dont notice any diffrence should i increase dosage? hes been on 1/2cc per day

ive been given him tylan orally for about 5 days but i dont notice any diffrence should i increase dosage? hes been on 1/2cc per day
terramycin is better than Neosporin?
Tylan50 should only be given for 5 days.
How much does he weigh?

Terramycin is a different "formula" so if there is not improvement, I would switch to see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom