One traumatized hen won't go in the coop at night

pbhens

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
We have a hen house in an enclosed run. For the first 5 weeks that we had the chickens, they would march into their henhouse at about 8:30 pm. For a while we didn't even bother to close the door after then went in, partly because they were protected by the enclosure and partly because they like to get up earlier than we do. It was working great until some critter got into the run (maybe the henhouse, too--we're not sure) and REALLY frightened them. We didn't see the animal, but they were all out of the hen house late at night squawking wildly and there was a pile of feathers in a corner of the run. The chickens didn't seemed harmed, but they were very upset. Since then (about a week ago), every night, three hens go in the house at the usual time and the fourth one stays awake on a perch outside. My husband has been going out at about 9:30 or 10:00 at night, picking her up off the perch, putting her in the house and closing it up. Tonight it was pouring rain, but she remained on the perch after the others went in. She was quite wet when my husband moved her in. Any thoughts on her vigil or a wet chicken?

I'd try putting her in when the others go in....just a suggestion. Maybe using a treat as an incentive during the day to have her go in and out. My girls will come running when I call cause it means mealworm time.

Hope you can help her over her fear.

Back
Top Bottom