One Watery Eye and crusty nostril

GOLD

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
So i just brought my chickens home 2 weeks ago. I noticed within a couple days that they could randoms sneeze once or twice so didnt think too much about it.

Today I noticed that a silkie had ONE watery eye and one nostril was what looked like blocked.

What do you think this is? Should we stop eating their eggs?

they can get their nostrils plugged and cause minor eye problems, sometimes crusty eyes. this could also be the start of some respiratory infection.
as long as she is eating and drinking ok, and no other birds show symptoms your probably fine. I would isolate her from the rest just in case. if symptoms get worse, you may have to start antibiotics.

I like to start with the most mellow treatment and work my way up. if she is eating and drinking I would add vet Rx to her water, and put some under her wing. if you have isolated her and have bedding, you can add a few drops to it too. this helps to open the sinuses. I use this a lot on sick birds because more oxygen promotes healing. if you cant get the vet Rx you might try some peppermint leaves or oil mixed lightly in her water.

if she is not eating, her weight is good, she is still active, use water soluble antibiotics for broad spectrum chicken respiratory infection.

if she is not eating, and this has been going on for more than 2 days, I would give her 1/4 cc tylan 200 for standard bred (or 1cc tylan 50).
if she is a bantam use 1/2 cc tylan 50. give in breast, push needle in, pull back just a little before giving injection. do this for 3 days.

I have heard of people doing sinus flushing on chickens, I never have done it and am not sure how to go about it.

keep me updated,
brian

So i just brought my chickens home 2 weeks ago. I noticed within a couple days that they could randoms sneeze once or twice so didnt think too much about it.

Today I noticed that a silkie had ONE watery eye and one nostril was what looked like blocked.

What do you think this is? Should we stop eating their eggs?
It could be an environmental issue; soiled bedding causing ammonia fumes, inhaling feed dust, pollen, dust, possibly inhaled a feed granule etc...All these issues can be corrected or eliminated. If you suspect a respiratory problem; I recommend that you cull the bird, it will spread to your other birds. Then you'll be nursemaiding sick birds for the rest of their lives, if they survive whatever disease it is, $$$.

I have been treating them all with Super Booster and the silkies is almost completely better and i havent heard any of them sneezing but i did notice yesterday that one of the other chickens sounded a little stuffed up and raspy

Back
Top Bottom