one week old baby chick with blood in stool....Please Help.

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
These are my daughters new pets as I'm allergic to anything with fur. We have 3 chicks one week old. At least 2 are having watery stool....but this morning one of them had blood....bright red...in it. I understand it's most likely cocci with blood, but my chicks have not been around any others (My sis got 40 chicks hatched 2 days before, we picked out 3 of them, and none of hers are sick), they haven't been outside and they are on medicated feed. Is this still possible it is cocci? My daughter is worried so any help is much appreciated.

It is definately possible for them to get cocci even tho they have never been outdoors, My last batch of babies got it and they were in the house in a nice clean brooder that had been religiously disinfected. I put them on sulmet for 6 days and that took care of it. Follow up with probiotics or plain yogurt to rebuild the flora in their tummies

Almost any young bird cn be exposed to coccidiosis. My starter feed had a coccidiostat in it- does yours? Birds may not appear sick at first, but can become very ill and die. Older birds are not so susceptible as chicks.

Update...In case anyone else has similar problems. I talked to U of FL vet school and was told that it is NOT possible for chicks that young to blood from coccidiosis in their stool. It is not egg transmitted and even if exposed on day one the organism cannot multiply fast enough to cause symptoms in a chick that young. Said most likely someone has pecked someones elses rear end.

Back
Top Bottom