One week old banty - go back to another mother or not?

Molbaygun

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 4, 2008
New Milford, CT
Long story short -
A. Had a broody columbian banty. She wouldn't accept the hatchling so I took the baby inside and have been taking care of it. (one week old)
B. Now have a broody buckeye banty. She is sitting on 4 eggs - with one hatching a half hour ago.

Back to baby A
1. Can I put that week old baby in with the new mom (B) and her new baby?
2. Should I remove the new baby, put it in with the old baby (who is lonely) and let the mom hatch out the other eggs (which may be up to a week away)
3. Do I not do anything at all - but I really would like to get the week old in with the mother.

Last edited:
I would wait till all the eggs hatch then give it a shot. You will know pretty much right away if she doesn't accept it. Some say put it in at night... that way mom is snoozing and doesn't know quite what's going on. Just hang outside near the coop for a good half hour - hour and listen for any loud screams from the peep
sad.png
If no screaming, then you're all good!!
smile.png

eat: wait till all the eggs to hatch because, if you don't, momma may abandon her eggs because this new chick is a week old and ready to eat... she'll be feeding it and let her eggs get cold...

Last edited:
Even if those eggs may be a week away? Another problem is that we are going away for 3 days and I don't want the sitter to have to worry about the week old baby. My cousin has 3 baby banties with no mother that she is raising and has offered to take "it". I just feel awful because it is all alone.

Is it a staggered hatch under the broody? If so, I would guess she might not wait long enough to hatch the eggs that have another week if you leave the already hatched chick with her. So if that is the only one that would hatch early, I would take it out and put it with your one week old, so long as the older one doesn't pester the younger one.

Yes the hatch is staggered. Momma hen accidentally smothered the new baby last night! I am devastated. I could kick myself for not taking it out!!!!!!! Now waiting to see with the other eggs and then everyone will be going on a mini vacation to my cousin's house!!

Back
Top Bottom