1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One year old hen laying behaviour changed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmericanMom, Sep 25, 2014.

1. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have a one yr old EE mix who has faithfully laid her eggs in the coop on a regular basis since February, I understand she is at an age that she "may" be molting but her behavior has me stumped as I have never come across this...

Over the last four days or so I have found a soft shelled egg under the roost, I didn't think much of it as I have several pullets that should start laying soon, the other day after feeding the flock for the morning I was standing out at the run and watched this year old hen squat and pop out an egg out in the dirt.. something she has never done, thought it was weird but didn't give it anymore thought... Last night I went out before dark to check all was well and happened to walk in the coop just as this same hen popped out a soft shelled egg while sitting on the roost...
    My flock is on all Purpose feed as I have Turkeys and younger chickens who should not be on layer feed, I give Oyster shells on the side for the layers and have never had an issue with the established layers..

Thoughts?? As I have said I have never experienced this and wondered if its just a stage of molting I have just never encountered.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It doesn't sound molting related and more than a couple times isn't normal.

I have 2 suggestions. When feeding a mixed flock a non-layer feed never let them run out of large particle oyster shell. If you get down to powder it isn't good enough. I keep 2 containers of oyster shell available, one next to the feeder and another next to the nest boxes.
    You may try to mix in half layer feed for a few days or 100% layer for a couple days. Sometimes that is the tipping point. A few days of 2-4% calcium won't hurt the other birds.
    Other foods make a difference too. Quality egg shells are not solely dependent on calcium. There has to be a proper balance of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
    Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    oh ok... Maybe that was or is the issue, I had been letting them get down to the "powder", putting out the shells once every few days.. I will put it out daily..
    My flock is pretty spoiled, not only do they get fruits and veggie from us but from all our neighbors too, we have asked them to not throw bread out but for maybe once a week and let us know before they do (to much not good) but they get all kinds of fruits and vegies and proteins every few days.
    Thank you for the link and hopefully it helps others experiencing this... weird that it is only one hen this is effecting that I can tell.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  5. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Thanks! I just went out to fed and water the flock for the day and she was back on the roost looking like she was going to lay an egg right there.. Watched her for a bit and then went to take care of the rabbits, when I came back she was down checking out a nest box so we shall see... I had just given them a scoop of oyster shells last night and it was gone, so I doubled the scoop for today.. or some dumb reason I was concerned they would take to much.. I know, doesn't matter how long a person has had chickens there is still so much to learn..[​IMG]

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by