Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
LOL, I named the machine after my grandmother. :)

You stand in front of it and walk back and forth as you quilt, guiding the machine with the handles. Some call it "dancing with" the machine.

My sewing studio is about 12 by 28 feet. I would love more room, though to have a dedicated cutting station.

A friend of Tom's on FB is buying my queen size Scattered Hearts and the Reversible Quilt, both! And she commissioned a painting of a rooster from Tom as well.
That's great! It's good to sell one, let alone 2.
Thanks Ducklady, I hadn't realised those were handles on the machine, looked up frames on youtube, so I've sort of got the idea. You wouldn't be able to use that type of frame on a treadle though, I wonder what the treadle people do.

I am having the worst time of it.
What is specifically giving you grief?
I used to cut (I only ever cut one quilt, but I made clothes) on a cardboard cutting board. It had lines and curves and things on it if you wanted to use that to follow a shape https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing-fabrics/haberdashery/tailoring-aids/simplicity-pattern-cutting-board/p/BP80052221
You can follow along the lines printed on it.

The main thing with cutting is to secure the fabric so it doesn't move. You can use pins on those cutting boards, you just stick them into the cardboard, but I used to use fishing sinkers to hold the fabric (quicker than all those pins). This is especially important cutting a bias binding because the edge will "open up" as you cut because of the stretch you are getting cutting on the bias and not on the grain.

The most important thing is to have good, sharp scissors. If your scissors are not really good, you are asking for grief. Mine were called Serra Sharp, but find some good quality scissors that suit you, weightwise and grip-comfort-wise.

If you have trouble keeping straight, following the line on a cutting board, then pin the entire line you need to cut. Measure it at intervals and pin it right the way along, then cut each section towards the next pin.

Do any of you have any good tips or tricks for cutting long strips for borders and binding? I am having the worst time of it.

Self-healing cutting mat and rotary cutter is essential, IMO. You'll make yourself nuts if you're trying to use scissors. And a good clear quilter's ruler with a grippy underside so it does not slide while you're cutting. I make binding all the time.

Self-healing cutting mat and rotary cutter is essential, IMO. You'll make yourself nuts if you're trying to use scissors. And a good clear quilter's ruler with a grippy underside so it does not slide while you're cutting. I make binding all the time.

I do have those, the trouble I am running into is when trying to use the technique of folding the fabric before cutting to get a long, continuous piece (whether for border or binding.) It usually ends up looking a little wonky instead of nice and (mostly, lol) straight. Any pointers? :)

You can refold your fabric so it is straight. The wonkiness comes from fabric not folded straight selvage to selvage. If you line up the selvage and you have a wonkiness at the fold, slide the selvage back and forth until you have it perfectly flat. Then you can square it off and start cutting.

You can refold your fabric so it is straight. The wonkiness comes from fabric not folded straight selvage to selvage. If you line up the selvage and you have a wonkiness at the fold, slide the selvage back and forth until you have it perfectly flat. Then you can square it off and start cutting.

What she said. Was just coming in to type that very thing.

Joann reordered the quilt backs and then, canceled them both AGAIN! I'm so DONE with them!

Made the sixteen 9" blocks for top and bottom of this quilt. Will be ready to assemble it all and border the entire thing with a dark purple, same as the strips you see there.

DSC01194.JPG

Well, Amazon, through Fabrics.com, saved the day! I found 108" wide fabric by Henry Glass in a pale yellow print for just $9.95 with NO shipping, PLUS when you order 3 yards minimum, you also get 5% off the order! So, I ordered 5 yards of it which will cover at least two of my quilts! JoAnn, take THAT! :tongue Plus I placed another Thousands of Bolts order because they have a lot of fabrics for just $3.89/yard, which is more than a buck off their usual wonderful prices for most of their fabrics!

This print, and only in this color. Other colors in the same print were about $12/yd, still not bad for a good manufacturer.

51kVdFz%2BJOL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom