Online Hatcheries?

I got my chicks from chickens for backyards and they all arrived happy and healthy! They also have reasonable prices. You can get as little as 3 chicks, you can mix and match. For shipping its $34.99 and its about $4 a chick.
Hope this helps! They also give an extra chick!

I am horrified to hear about the poor health of your chicks! I wish you luck, and I hope there is some improvement of their health :hit

Thank you... Every morning I hold my breath until I have checked each one for some new catastrophe. Best of luck to you as well! One thing I have learned through this experience is that the health and level of protein fed to the parents really reflects in the chicks. Hope this helps!

Chickens for backyards is a great hatchery

Also, @Leah567, would you mind telling me about your experience or what you have heard about them? My new concern is price, as My Pet Chickens is very expensive, since I am ordering common breed chickens. ;)

Both Chickens for Backyards and My Pet Chicken are drop shippers. MPC gets most of their chicks from Meyer, though they do have other breeds that Meyer does not. Chickens for Backyards only mentions they get their chicks from various NPIP hatcheries. MPC does sex bantams which is something you really won't find elsewhere. MPC has been around for a while and people do seem happy with them.

I haven't ordered through either, I've only dealt with the hatcheries. Over the years I have got chicks from McMurray, Meyer and Ideal. I may have lost one or 2 during shipping from Ideal and Meyer, but after that all the chicks from any of the hatcheries did well.

Are there any local feed stores you can go through to avoid the shipping costs for a small order?

@keesmom Since I live in a fairly rural area, I only have one or two feed stores around me. I recently have found classifieds mentioning chicks and I am keeping my fingers crossed :fl. I also recently discovered I live in close proximity to Cackle Hatchery, so it may be worth the drive to go pick up some chicks.

@keesmom Since I live in a fairly rural area, I only have one or two feed stores around me. I recently have found classifieds mentioning chicks and I am keeping my fingers crossed :fl. I also recently discovered I live in close proximity to Cackle Hatchery, so it may be worth the drive to go pick up some chicks.

Two days after hatch they can no longer shop them so they'll be deeply discounted.

Rural areas usually have more chicks, though more mixes than pure

Back
Top Bottom