1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Online Source for Sexed Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dwdoc, Jan 31, 2011.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Hello All,

The wife wants a couple Silkie pullets but I cannot seem to find an online Hatchery that sells sexed Silkies. Does one exist? If not why?

Thanks.

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

because silkies are very hard to sex....you have to wait for them to grow out to see what you got...

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    And also because they are bantam it is dangerous to vent sex them.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Silkies don't decide what gender they are gong to be until at least six months old. Some make you wait longer.

5. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Quote:x2

6. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    I did find out that MyPetChicken.com advertises Silkie pullets - very pricy though...

7. Kristin.marlies

Kristin.marlies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    I have gotten mine all from mypetchicken.com and while they are a little pricey they have all come to me sexed female. (which is what I wanted). I don't order very many at a time though, just ten at a time. Perhaps if my orders were bigger there would be more mistakes.

8. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I just ordered from My Pet Chicken also and they say they are 90% correct with the sexing. Also, they have very low minimums for an order and I can't order 15 and 25 chickens at one time. I'd rather spend the money and get exactly what I want. Having to cull the roosters after you have raised them is just to hard for me because I fall in love with every one of them!

9. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    I got sexed silkies from MPC last summer. I ordered 7 one died right after I picked them up The post office was so cold it was ridiculous. The others were to be 5 females and one male I got 2 males and 4 girls which is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by