Only 1 chick hatched

No its not, and its not good for the chick, I mean its good the mama is making she the chick gets out but mama needs to show her what you do. Mama should not still be trying to sit on eggs. Yes the first few weeks mama stays close to the coop and the nests so she can take her littles to rest or to safety quickly, but she should be up eating and drinking regularly and showing the chick how to thrive.

You could maybe try to put a few of the old eggs back under her? Candle then make sure they are ok and try to only give her ones closest to hatching if you have any. But i worry if she's trying to sit she might negect the chick for a new clutch of eggs

You could maybe try to put a few of the old eggs back under her? Candle then make sure they are ok and try to only give her ones closest to hatching if you have any. But i worry if she's trying to sit she might negect the chick for a new clutch of eggs

In my experience (only 32 broody hatches this year) they will only sit for a couple days after chicks hatch. The little one will be fine and will hang around momma until momma is ready.

In my experience (only 32 broody hatches this year) they will only sit for a couple days after chicks hatch. The little one will be fine and will hang around momma until momma is ready.
I understand that that's why early I said i was concerned that mama was still trying to sit and collecting more eggs. She's already past hatching and should not be trying to sit, she should be showing her chick around. I suggested putting back a few of the original hatching eggs (ones closest to hatching) in hopez that if they are still viable 1-2 more chicks might be enough for mom to kick the broody spell. Its a better option then a mama trying to hatch a second clutch when she needs to be carrying for her young and becuase she needs to care for her chick it's not a good time to try to break get broody either.

The white head spot indicates that the chick will be barred like it's father but could be male or female. If the mother had been barred and the father a solid colour, then the head spot would have indicated it was male. Your chick is a barnyard mix.

The white head spot indicates that the chick will be barred like it's father but could be male or female. If the mother had been barred and the father a solid colour, then the head spot would have indicated it was male. Your chick is a barnyard mix.

Good info! Chicken genetics confuse me:confused:. Is the barred gene in a rooster usually dominate?

Whatever he/she turns out to be, hopefully it doesn't get the grouchy gene from its dad :fl lol

I'm no expert, but if you have a cockerel with a double barring gene ie a barred rock or even a cream legbar, then it will pass one on to all it's offspring and they will all be barred. Looking at the photo of your cockerel, I am not sure he has a double barring gene.... he doesn't have the broad white bars that would indicate that, so he may not pass on the barring to all his offspring, but the head spot tells you this one will be. I believe the barring gene is dominant, yes.
Not sure if your boy is a cuckoo marans or a black sex link male. His shanks appear to be white, which would suggest Marans but in the US French Marans with feathered shanks are the norm and he obviously has clean shanks..... but if he was a male black sex link I would have expected him to have red patches on his shoulders, so I'm not sure what he is.

Back
Top Bottom