Only one chick made it, any tips in keeping it alive ???

Fudge819

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Quebec, Canada
Hi, i'm a newby here and just got my first hatched chick, and yes sadly i only got one. I need you experienced chicken owners out there to give some tips on keeping little Uno alive and happy :0)

Thank you so much for your much needed help

Do you have a brooder set up? A box with a heat lamp, water, food? If not, that's the first thing to do. As long as she stays warm with food and water, she should be good for a little while. Then, start researching here how to move on - and maybe try to find her a couple of sisters to keep her company!

First of all, see if you can find your lone chick a friend to keep it company. Chickens are social creatures and they love company, preferably other chickens.

What your chick needs the most now is warmth (± 95*), some chick starter crumbles and clean water to drink. Here's some good info and tips on raising chicks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Mirrors, stuffed animals or those old fashioned feather dusters all work well. You do still need to get her some company. Chickens can grow up to be socially awkward just like humans can. She needs some buddies.

Back
Top Bottom