Hi there:)

I wouldn't change what has worked for me in the past and you seem well prepared!

Definitely get some chicks for friends if you can, at least 1. I picked up a lone chick with some hatching eggs and got a friend so she wouldn't be lonely and would learn some etiquette. I had an easier time integrating 3 or more into my flock than just 2. I think a gang of kids is more for the bigs to handle than 2
giggle.gif

For the tote, if you can cut a hole in the side and cover with hardware cloth, the chicks will see you coming and be less skittish. Coming from above, you seem like a predator. I love the heat plate I got, it's awesome you're going that direction!

For discussion on medicated feed, I never used it. I took my first flock outside as tiny chicks within a week of purchase. For no other reason than I thought they might enjoy it. I figured a broody doesn't raise chicks in a tote, they're out there on the ground in a day or two so what could it hurt?

It was later that I was reminded in a thread here that exposure to the world builds natural immunity. This is what happens in nature, and those that aren't fit to survive don't make it.

I watched a broody here with her chicks and she had them foraging and doing all the things 2 days after they hatched. From then on I put a pan of dirt from the floor of my coop in the brooder within 2 days unless I brood chicks outside.

I'm not saying you should change anything, this is just what I do and why I do it.

Thanks, igorsMistress! A hole in the tote is a great idea. I think they will enjoy having a pan of dirt from the outside to scratch around in. You are right. Mama hens have them out right away.

Back
Top Bottom