Only One Layer in the Flock - How Long Before the Others Catch On?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
I have 11 chickens that are appropriate ages for laying. Five 3-year-old Barred Rocks, and six 1-year-old White Leghorns. Last summer, they were laying consistently, but they stopped this winter, naturally. For the past two or three weeks, I've been trying to encourage them to lay. Keeping the nest boxes full of hay, putting in golf balls as nest eggs. Finally, five days ago, one of my Barred Rocks started laying perfect brown eggs. I was thrilled, but now, she has been laying an egg everyday for the past five days, yet the others haven't started. I know that I should just "let nature take it's course", but I was just wondering if anyone had an estimation. I appreciate any posts. Thank you in advance.

Are you giving them adequate layer feed? I know when our Barred Rock was laying last summer, she quit because she didn't have enough protein in her feed and then she went through molting...it also could be something like worms or lice? I really don't know how long it might take for the others to catch up.

Hope that might help a little
big_smile.png

God Bless

Are you giving them adequate layer feed? I know when our Barred Rock was laying last summer, she quit because she didn't have enough protein in her feed and then she went through molting...it also could be something like worms or lice? I really don't know how long it might take for the others to catch up.

Hope that might help a little
big_smile.png

God Bless
Thanks! One of my other Barred Rocks has a mild case of Scaly Leg mites, which I'm treating (I'm not sure who's laying the eggs). They do have a Layer ration with correct nutrition amounts (16%-18% protein, 3% calcium, and 0.5% phosphorus).

Thanks! One of my other Barred Rocks has a mild case of Scaly Leg mites, which I'm treating (I'm not sure who's laying the eggs). They do have a Layer ration with correct nutrition amounts (16%-18% protein, 3% calcium, and 0.5% phosphorus).
.......and how much "Spoiling my chickens with green treats!" are you doing?

Too many treats can dilute the nutrients of the balanced feed.

My older girls just really started pumping out the eggs again in the last week or so.

.......and how much "Spoiling my chickens with green treats!" are you doing?

Too many treats can dilute the nutrients of the balanced feed.

My older girls just really started pumping out the eggs again in the last week or so.
I don't give them too many treats, my "location" is meant to be when I allow them to free-range and graze on plants and grass. I never give them treats like bread or such, only veggie scraps, like celery leaves, carrot ends, tomatoes, etc. Even those treats they don't get too often.

But, yesterday, 2 more Barred Rocks and 2 Leghorns started, so I guess they're catching one now.

Back
Top Bottom