1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only one of seven laying. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prareedawn, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Prareedawn

Prareedawn Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    We have 7 chickens all hatched around may 10th. As far as I have seen only one is laying. She's an ISA and has layed every day for 12 days. I've seen her lay at least 5 of those and I have yet to have more then one egg a day. I have at least 3 other chickens who are as developed as her and I'm wondering if its normal for none of the others to be laying yet? 4 are ISAs and 3 are RIRs. Thanks guys

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's normal. It usually takes about 6 months for a chicken to start laying. Your others should be starting up within the next few weeks. Each chicken matures at a different rate and they lay when their bodies are ready.

3. Im Barred up

Im Barred up Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    New Brunswick
    I have four hens and they all started laying six weeks after one another. One eggs for six week...two eggs for six weeks...three eggs for six weeks, then finally all four hens laying. So from the time my first hen layed to my last hen started was around four months difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by