Only One Survived... Until This Morning

Oh no. I'm so, so sorry. Heartbreaking. Sending you big hugs. I had my own struggles starting my first flock these past couple months. Out of 12 we have 6 who are now strong and doing well - it was really stressful and emotional.
That's awful! I'm glad you still have your six. I know ithappens, but my first flock of 4 were perfect. And I got a 5th for abroody, and she did fantastically because she was raised by a good mama. These losses are a really sucky part of chicken ownership.

Now I'm a little worried about the Sebright. It was active yesterday, but awfully sleepy/lethargic today. Ugh. What am I doing wrong?

Got a good heat source.
Got chick pellets, clean water.
No drafts.
No party butt.
Got clean brooder (using puppy pads)

I'm doing the best I can because I have to go to work soon and act like everything is fine.

The others seem ok, but they are not as active as my chicks usually are. I have a DIY MHP, which they like. But I haven't seen them eat or drink much. I don't want to overreact to Thistle's death and "over care" for them, but I am tempted to give them food and water via syringe.

Oh my goodness! :hugsto you both!!! @Aunt Angus , at this point do what makes you feel best before you have to go to work! I mean, don't go all Of Mice and Men on them and kill them with hugs but if a supplement meal would give you peace of mind, take it!

If it makes you feel better my first chicks this year slept pretty much a full 24 hours after coming home from the feed store. I really thought they were sick or overly stressed or something but they were just exhausted from the upheaval! They're all 12 weeks old now and totally fine!:hugs

Oh no. I'm so, so sorry. Heartbreaking. Sending you big hugs. I had my own struggles starting my first flock these past couple months. Out of 12 we have 6 who are now strong and doing well - it was really stressful and emotional.

I'm so sorry about your losses. I really don't have any idea what to do for your remaining chicks. I'm sure someone will have advice for you.
I was afraid of trying to brood tiny chicks. My local breeder raised mine till they could be outside, about 5 weeks. So I have no brooder experience. Since someone said there is a breeder of silkies near you I think I'd use that venue for future birds. They can probably let you pick their brains for care info. I text my breeder with questions and he is happy to answer me. He knows I'll continue to be a good customer and reccomend customers to him.
Lots of luck with your little ones. :hugs

don't go all Of Mice and Men on them and kill them with hugs
LOL! Totally ironic because I'm an English teacher, and I teach this novel every fall.

I'm good. I gave them a lil Nutri Drench, and gave myself a second cup of coffee. I'm going as soon as I feed the dog.

Now I'm a little worried about the Sebright. It was active yesterday, but awfully sleepy/lethargic today. Ugh. What am I doing wrong?

Got a good heat source.
Got chick pellets, clean water.
No drafts.
No party butt.
Got clean brooder (using puppy pads)
I have not replied till now, but I did the same exact thing you did. You have added chicks together that are, were, possibly sisck. I lost both my babies this way due to not wanting one to be lonely. Never again will I make that sad mistake! Best of luck :hugs

LOL! Totally ironic because I'm an English teacher, and I teach this novel every fall.

I'm good. I gave them a lil Nutri Drench, and gave myself a second cup of coffee. I'm going as soon as I feed the dog.

I really considered becoming an English teacher in my youth! I was that student that finished every assigned book in three days only to be chastised by the teacher for reading ahead :gig

I fell in love with reading during Island of the Blue Dolphins and had my heart broken for the first time with To Kill a Mockingbird :love

So sorry your babies didn't make it. :( :hugsI had one mail order chick pass away and I was devastated too/felt really guilty. The others are probably right though. You didn't kill them by ordering them. If it wasn't you someone else would have, and you loved them so much. At least they passed with a momma who treasured them. My little one is buried out in my front flowerbed along with my other little pets who have crossed the rainbow bridge. They bring such joy to our lives, but much sadness too when they have to go.

That's awful! I'm glad you still have your six. I know it happens, but my first flock of 4 were perfect. And I got a 5th for a broody, and she did fantastically because she was raised by a good mama. These losses are a really sucky part of chicken ownership.

Thanks. Even though I spent almost a year following groups, reading and trying to learn as much as I could before I got them - the learning curve was steep for me. Hindsight is 20/20 indeed. I've learned more in the past 8 weeks between hands on and here than I did beforehand. We started with 6, lost 2 the first week to overheated brooder, got 6 more, lost one of those while still trying to get the brooder temp under control, then abandoned that (plastic tote) brooder for a dog crate setup. Still lost two more to unknown lethargy / Failure to thrive (I question coccidosis - but the rest were all fine so not sure). And one to some kind of respiratory issues. It was a very stressful time - and I felt like a shitty chicken parent daily. Thankfully things got better, 1 that had respiratory issues was able to be nursed with VetRx and washing out her eyes with saline initially but then ultimately needed antibiotics, is fully recovered and doing well now. I've learned some quick chicken veterinary skills and have a fully loaded chicken first aid kit. I'm definitely relieved to be past those first few weeks when they just all seem so fragile. Now the personalities are coming out and we're having some fun.

Hang in there. I think some NutriDrench for them and some coffee for you is perfect for this Friday morning! When's the last day of school? We've still got a week to go here in NJ.

Back
Top Bottom