Only urate poop

Mucous is slimy. Often white.

The fact that the poop smells much worse than normal poop also is an indication of obstruction.

You are doing everything for Eddie that I would do. What is the strength og the calcium? Should be around 600mg. You can give her a second one this evening if she's still in the same predicament. Push fluids. Keeping her nice and hydrated is important.
There was no mucous in the poop. I have been giving 500 mg calcium + a D3 pill.

She’s drinking on her own. Should I start to syringe some?

Attachments

• E2034178-4BF7-4818-8172-EC373EF036E3.jpeg
    E2034178-4BF7-4818-8172-EC373EF036E3.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 4
I may be doing this too much, only twice today, but I feel something now when I put my finger in Eddie’s butt. It feels like poop. We will see. When should I give calcium again?
And is there anything else I should be doing beside calcium?
I will be making scrambled egg again soon. She had one last night.

I don’t know if this helps but I have noticed she has an obsession with eating leaves. Whenever she has a dried leaf in front of her, she tries to eat it. I can usually stop her but sometimes she does eat them.

She can have two calcium tablets or gels today to get her contractions going. But one is enough tomorrow.

You may let her eat a couple dry leaves. That shouldn't cause any problems. She shouldn't have a pile of them though.

As I said before, old hens will occasionally ovulate. And it's not always possible for a shell to be built. That's when the egg gets stuck. It's harder to push out a shell-less egg.

My twelve-year old hen Lilith would ovulate at least once every spring, and then it would get stuck. Then we had the full nine yards of complications which included prolapse. At least so far Eddie isn't indicating she'll prolapse. I think the calcium might help.

Now, understand this isn't a solid diagnosis. It's just a guess going on my experience with aging hens, which I admit to having a lot since my hens do tend to hang around.

I just gave her another two today. So in total she has gotten four spaced out though.
I felt something in her vent at 4:30. It’s now 6:20 and nothing yet. That’s why I gave calcium. She seems a little ruffled and uncomfortable. I’m hoping the calcium helps.
I usually stop her when I notice she starts to eat leaves.
So I will say when I felt inside her, it felt like poop but I did think maybe it could be a wrinkly egg shell. I’m just waiting now.

I think I remember reading about Lilith and her prolapses in your article, thankfully I’ve never dealt with prolapse yet, hopefully it will stay that way.

Have you ever had a hen who didn’t have any egg related blockage? Like they just wouldn’t poop and when it resolved, they never expelled any egg content?
But as of right now, Eddie does seem uncomfortable and is closing her eyes quite a bit. Her vent is moving a small bit.

Ahh!

She had a somewhat good poop!!! It still smells but it definitely looks more normal. The urates were a little yellow. The second picture shows it disected a bit after I used a glove and paper towel to move it around.

Attachments

• B32DB26F-4A81-4987-997D-12DA08039CCC.jpeg
    B32DB26F-4A81-4987-997D-12DA08039CCC.jpeg
    500.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 4E587B12-CF9E-4834-B981-899B6C85145A.jpeg
    4E587B12-CF9E-4834-B981-899B6C85145A.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 4
I forgot to mention that lack of cecal poop also is a sign of oviduct obstruction. So Eddie is presenting with all of the symptoms.

Yes, it's possible that the obstruction isn't a real egg, but just membrane or tissue sloughed off the wall of the oviduct, and you won't notice it when she passes it. Lilith had one such episode with prolapse. I didn't see it when it came out.

If that Eddie pulls a sneaky such as that, you will be able to tell that she's passed it by how she behaves. You will see normal poop again and cecals. And Eddie will perk up and behave as her old self. Then you will know her crisis is over.

Back
Top Bottom